Huddling between innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
Most teams are great and get out of dugouts right after games,etc. TD's should have a little sheet for new teams so they know some of the
protocols of TB.

Jun 12, 2015
I would love it if they got 5 pitches to warm up then started the inning. That would be fantastic.

Nov 1, 2013
" Tournaments are about making money and ensuring returning business. " Well said SoCalASABlue!

The ASA rule book is for Championship Play (State; Regional; National sanctioned events) .... not necessarily tourney play every weekend.

The TD make concessions to the rules and rules application to make teams happy...often doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Nov 1, 2013
"I would love it if they got 5 pitches to warm up then started the inning. That would be fantastic."

You can get your 5 pitches if you have the catcher ready (or someone else until the catcher is ready); get out to the field positions...all within 60 seconds after the last out.

We know what happens between innings:
1. Offensive team huddle
2. No one to catch the pitcher
3. Players slowly go to their positions

If you want 5 pitches...hustle out and get them. You have 60 seconds to use as you wish...take your time getting out to play or hustling to get ready

Choices.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Is there any rule in ASA against the typical huddling outside of the dugout after just getting the third out on D?

Not a big fan of rah-rah once the game starts, especially if they are on the clock. The umpires that do try to keep the game going are often ridiculed with the "let the girls play/have fun" comments. If your team is coming off the field and involved in a huddle outside the dugout or down the line, that means your batter is not preparing to hit and that can easily become a problem. And the ridicule starts again. But get into the last 5 minutes, all of a sudden both teams are very much concerned.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not a big fan of rah-rah once the game starts, especially if they are on the clock. The umpires that do try to keep the game going are often ridiculed with the "let the girls play/have fun" comments. If your team is coming off the field and involved in a huddle outside the dugout or down the line, that means your batter is not preparing to hit and that can easily become a problem. And the ridicule starts again. But get into the last 5 minutes, all of a sudden both teams are very much concerned.

Don't most associations have rules on the books that outline the amount of time between innings? I would think it would be up to the teams to spend the time between as they see fit. Then if they were not prepared to resume play per the rules there would be some type of consequences. Is this not the case?

Umpires down here in Floridia hate my team. After the first inning we throw one pitch and then down and then at 60 seconds we start carping. If my team can do it so can others. Problem is the umpires would love to have more than 60 seconds in the Florida heat. :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
Metro ATL
I took her comment to mean the exact opposite - have been in tournaments where the pitcher gets WAY more than 5 pitches and it takes too long to switch innings - eats away at an already short game.

Nov 29, 2009
I do not huddle my teams between innings as a rule. However, if I have to, I send the first two hitters due up for the inning into the dugout to get ready while I talk to the rest of the team. I've never had an umpire say anything. My lead off hitter is out there and ready for the first pitch. Sometimes the catcher will be late if she is leading off.

Most of the tournaments around here are 5 pitches the first inning. 3 pitches after that, with no warmup balls on the field after the first inning. For the most part the coaches do a pretty good job getting their teams on and off the field. I saw a coach try and do a post game huddle in the outfield once. He got booted off the field immediately. Found out he was a HS coach. He was all butt hurt because he got chased from the field.

With the tight time frames allowed for games at most tournaments. The team for the next game is usually standing at the dugout entrance waiting for you to clear out so they can get set and ready for their game. I know I have my team drop their gear outside the dugout and start warming up while the other teams clears the dugout. After a few games the players figure out to have their gear organized and ready to go so it takes them a minute or so to get setup while I'm doing the plate conference.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Don't most associations have rules on the books that outline the amount of time between innings? I would think it would be up to the teams to spend the time between as they see fit. Then if they were not prepared to resume play per the rules there would be some type of consequences. Is this not the case?

The pitcher has 60 seconds from the end of the previous half-inning (when the 3rd out is recorded) to complete up to 5 warm-up pitches. It is not "free time" for the teams to do whatever they please. That means the defense should hustle onto the field and the opponent hustle off the field and have a batter prepared to step into the box.

Umpires down here in Floridia hate my team. After the first inning we throw one pitch and then down and then at 60 seconds we start carping.

And when I see that ball go down, I'm calling for a batter.

Problem is the umpires would love to have more than 60 seconds in the Florida heat. :)

I've worked in FL a few times. Lakeland, Plant City, but that isn't where the heat was a problem. Three separate occasions on the panhandle in August were the worst. The temp and humidity were about the same, 95. Time to relax isn't nearly as important as water and shade

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors