Huddling between innings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not think so.

Pitcher gets her warmup pitches so you have some time.

If you are slowing the game up the ump will probably say something.

(Or if you are interfering with the defense warming up)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I have no problem with offense huddling. I do have a problem with D. There are certain teams that seem to start stalling the second the game starts. We played last weekend and in one game the first pitch started 5 minutes after the clock started because the other team was so slow getting on the field.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If you are slowing the game up the ump will probably say something.

(Or if you are interfering with the defense warming up)

I've seen those huddles broken up by umpires who called it a safety hazard. Might get hit by a thrown ball. But I don't know whether they were citing a rule or making it up.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Our coaches have done it, pretty much in 30' down the line out of play.

No balls should should come close to them.

Common sense and softball do not always go together.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2013
About 15 years ago, these huddles were a Point of Emphasis from NFHS (high school rules). The statement was to not allow defensive teams to huddle outside their dugouts as they left the field. They were to enter the dugout for the huddle. A safety concern.

Over the years, that Point of Emphasis was taken a "back seat" and the huddles happen nearly every half inning.

So, there is a history of "no huddles" as the team leaves the field.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Little off topic but both Teams in the game before us huddled in the OF after thier game.

Get off my field!

They do that in school ball but there are not other Teams waiting for the field.

(and stay out of my dugout until we ALL get out of there, more whining latter)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Thanks all. I have a big problem with umps that have their own rules. When our team shows up to the field and the first thing is an ump pulling some demand out of their arse, it sets a really bad tone. These are usually the umps who aren't very good. The huddle ump promptly called a runner safe who was out by a clear step, like not even in the neighborhood of close.

We had this and all sorts of personal pet peeve demands by umps in our tourney. Why not just make the girls do 10 pushups and 10 jumping jacks when they come off, and say "Sir Yes Sir!"? It isn't any less arbitrary.

Nov 1, 2013
Maybe your team is playing in the wrong tourneys if you are finding umpires with personal pet peeves and their own rules.

The tourneys I work, I don't see that at all.

Just like there are classifications of teams (A; B; C; etc)....umpires come in "classifications" also. And weaker tourneys hire lower classification umpires.

This past weekend, I watched my grandson play in a baseball tourney...and I saw some very weak umpires. Poorly attired; PU with shin guards outside the pants; BU with no cap....and they performed as poorly as they looked.

When I coached fast pitch, we always selected our tourneys based on the history of the umpire quality.

I know I wouldn't work a tourney if the umpires were as you describe. Might be time to reevaluate which tourneys you play based on the quality of umpires.

Quality attracts quality.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Is there any rule in ASA against the typical huddling outside of the dugout after just getting the third out on D?

Yes. If the ASA rules are strictly EVER enforced to the letter, there is a total of five pitches or one minute after the end of a half inning for the new pitcher to enter the circle and warm up. There's nothing in the rule book that says the clock doesn't start until the catcher gets behind the plate.

If the defensive team that left the field to become the offense does not have a batter in the box ready to go after that five pitches or one minute, the PU can call strikes on the batter until the batter is in the box. If a defense-going-to-offense takes too long, then they lose batters.

The biggest problem is that the rules are NOT strictly enforced. Tournaments are about making money and ensuring returning business.

Despite all the browbeating by "trainers" at ASA rule clinics about "managing the game", umpires are not going to worry about stalling coaches or getting maximum innings for teams on timed games - they're getting paid whether 3 innings are completed or 7 innings are completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CentralCoastBulldogs