HS drama is fun ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
Best advice I heard was get better.

She can have her spot, no way there are 8 other players that are going to beat out Dd.

Good advise, had a high school coach tell me just the other day he had a player who came into his program that he started to cut, but something about her impressed him so he took a chance on her.

She shows up an hour sometimes 2 before practice everyday and hits from a tee. She shows up early before the game and hits off the tee and she has become his best hitter and contributes a great deal to his program.

She never played travel ball only rec ball, he believes she has a good chance to play for a college team after high school. :D

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In filling the starting 9, you first list the kids of the head coach and the assistant coaches. Then, if there are any openings left, you list the kids of your buddies. Those are always the best nine.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. ;)

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It does seem odd when you say she does not look better than the others and does not have a strong arm, if you can't tell after watching her play a game (or better yet a practice) that she is better than the others that is probably why parents are complaining.

Yes, that's part of it. Her arm is good for a freshman, but just ordinary on a team of travel-ball experienced upperclassmen. Her power is not conspicuous because she is a slapper. In travel ball, she's a very quick, sure-handed, accurate-throwing second baseman. At the plate, she's a legit triple-threat slapper w/ very good speed. Not HR power, but she can put the ball in the gap, so it's hard to defend her. Not to be patronizing to her HS teammates and their parents, but they have not really seen a really good slapper and can't fully appreciate what they're looking at. It's not about what you can do, but how reliably you can do it. HS teams struggle to get her out, and it's only going to get tougher as she ages.

Nov 16, 2015
You take the older one for a few reasons: For many players high school could be the end of softball - so the window of opportunity to play this game is less for the older player so you should take this into consideration. You may also take into consideration work and time put into the program already. Long term passing over the older player for an equal younger player can be bad for the program (i.e. making sure kids keep playing year after year). Coach may have a longer term comfort with the older player.

I think too many people assume that a senior has put a lot of time in. That can be complete and utterly wrong. Most common fans have no idea what time and effort put in by kids.

Yes, i am going to 'toot my daughters horn' a bit here. 8th grader that will not play Varsity this year and i am fine with that. I think we have girls that are better than her that will play in front of her.

We hit at school on Sundays for 1 hour. The seniors (if they) show up, are there for 5 minutes. Walk in, hit off the machine and leave. My daughter spends 30-45 minutes of T work prior to getting her cuts in on the machine. She is doing this 3-4 times a week, The seniors show up on Sunday. The seniors, if they are not hitting, are sitting in a corner socializing and watching my daughter put her work in. This started in December. About 6 weeks ago a freshman girl joined my DD and does the work with her. The 9th grader has improved a ton in the last 6 weeks. Its fun to see. A lot of these senior parents can say my daughter put the time in by going to the gym to hit. Ya they were there (briefly), but they didnt put much time in.

Tell me again why a senior deserves to play bc they are a senior and put all this time in? The 9th grader that i mentioned above deserves to start over a few of these seniors. I am not advocating for my daughter to start varsity, that is not my point. My point is that just because they are a senior people assume they put time in.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
With a few exceptions we have been drama free. In fact the highlight of my weekend was an example of how some of our parents look at things. While standing and talking before our second game Friday the dad of a junior asked another dad where my DD had been all year and why she had not been playing. He told him she was a 7th grader and had been playing JV and just got pulled up. He thought she should have been playing and we should do what ever it takes to win regardless of the age of the kid.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
^^^^^ This loud and clear. So much this it hurts.

Wait until you have parents complaining their DD isn't playing but should be based solely on being a Senior. Not because they can outplay someone on the diamond, but just because, well...she's a Senior. I don't how our HC handles that without laughing.

In our contract which both parents and players sign...it says in bold "Coaches will not under any circumstance discuss playing time with parents." We will always discuss playing time with players but they need to ask us " What can I do to improve so I can see some playing time"

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We hit at school on Sundays for 1 hour. The seniors (if they) show up, are there for 5 minutes. Walk in, hit off the machine and leave. My daughter spends 30-45 minutes of T work prior to getting her cuts in on the machine. She is doing this 3-4 times a week, The seniors show up on Sunday. The seniors, if they are not hitting, are sitting in a corner socializing and watching my daughter put her work in.

Your seniors sound like the Gold team in our program!! ;)Only they may also be drinking coffee and some eating breakfast, sitting on the floor where someone could be doing tee work or soft toss

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
In our contract which both parents and players sign...it says in bold "Coaches will not under any circumstance discuss playing time with parents." We will always discuss playing time with players but they need to ask us " What can I do to improve so I can see some playing time"

Our coach is a newbie this year. 24 year old right out of college. (played in college) She is learning on what to do and make changes for next year. She is learning. I've been coaching for along time and at times she will confide in me on what I would do, I tell her and help her anyway I can. One of the things I suggested was Player/Parent contract. I think she is going to write something up for next year. I am the book keeper and only offer advice when asked. I like her philosophy and how she not only wants to build a team, but more importantly a program. This is the first time in YEARS that our schools softball team has an identity.

Jul 4, 2012
No, no, no.

If you have two players of equal ability, then why in the world would you take the older one? Simply because they've managed to breathe for a year longer? Take the younger one who will gain a year of experience and, in all likelihood, be better down the line due to that extra experience.

So, you are saying that a freshman that has the same ability and work ethic as a senior should start over a senior because in all-likelihood they will one day be better than the senior?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Carbajal