HS drama is fun ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
JExcept that at this school, the assumption was that freshmen had to wait. I remember having a conversation with a parent from that school last year. Her DD was a rising junior, although as it turned out she chose not to play. But, I mentioned to the mom how competitive things would be this season and mentioned the freshman, then an 8th grader. The parent's response was to the effect that freshmen shouldn't be considered unless they're really needed. Otherwise, they're on JV.
'

New coach, new everything... ah well... Performing and winning solves a lot of things.

Next year my DD will be a freshman in HS coming in with a bunch of other travel players. Assuming nothing really changes, most are projecting the top 9 is going to be 1 senior, 2 sophs, 6 freshman... It is going to be interesting since this year was a real down year since the well was finally dry (the team have been contenders for the previous 3 years which was covering up the lack of talent coming through) so some players who did get a lot of time this year are probably not going to next year. I am sure there are some people who are going to be put out

Jun 12, 2015
I don't see why what year they're in should matter. Your best 9 play the most at that age. That's just logical.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I see it as a balancing act.

I agree that the freshman sensation needs and deserves to start in this case. But, IMO, seniority needs to be respected and managed. It can affect morale, motivation and chemistry. I believe players want and need seniority to count for something. But the coach must decide how much.

For me, the rule of thumb might be that to trump seniority, the younger player needs to be better 'beyond a reasonable doubt.' And on every team, there are going to be plenty of examples of younger players who are far better than older players, and there is no issue. But if you routinely bench two-year starting seniors for freshmen who are only slightly better, it can cost you in the long run. The is value in having some security, and some tangible pathway to playing time, the idea that if I toil for 2-3 years, that I won't be replaced by a younger player unless that player is clearly better. Sometimes we have to accept the reality and how a team of players (teenage girls, not to mention their parents) really feel rather than how we think they ought to feel.

Sep 29, 2014
It does seem odd when you say she does not look better than the others and does not have a strong arm, if you can't tell after watching her play a game (or better yet a practice) that she is better than the others that is probably why parents are complaining. Players also have to realize it is simply luck of the draw as to what your HS team looks like. We had a girl pitching JV game who could look over at the Varsity field and see her TB teammate who was the #2 pitcher behind her on their TB team starting varsity for the visiting team.

It is going to be VERY interesting next year for our team 7 starting seniors, two juniors that are OK, two sophomores (good), one freshman (really good). The JV has one junior (OK), three sophomore (one good, two OK) and one great and two good freshman.

Feb 12, 2014
Yes, yes, yes.

No, no, no.

If you have two players of equal ability, then why in the world would you take the older one? Simply because they've managed to breathe for a year longer? Take the younger one who will gain a year of experience and, in all likelihood, be better down the line due to that extra experience.

Nov 16, 2015
Top 9 play.

Cant stand seniors play because they are seniors. You've been on the team for 4 years so i have to reward you with a starting spot? there is way, way more that goes into it

Our high school hasnt start the season yet. We should have a real nice team and a fun year. This team has a state tournament run in them. IMO, the coach needs to bench 2 girls that started and Sophomores and Juniors and will be seniors this year for 2 freshmen (My DD is an 8th grader and will not be playing varsity). It will make the team better. TEAM trumps individuals.

Nov 18, 2013
Indiana
Best 9 play...end of story. Tired of the " I'm a senior" garbage. We have 6 seniors...3 start...one is out injured...other two don't start. You have to change the culture and that's what we are doing and so is that new coach . Difficult? Yes but had to be done to create a winning culture

^^^^^ This loud and clear. So much this it hurts.

Wait until you have parents complaining their DD isn't playing but should be based solely on being a Senior. Not because they can outplay someone on the diamond, but just because, well...she's a Senior. I don't how our HC handles that without laughing.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Top 9 play.

Cant stand seniors play because they are seniors. You've been on the team for 4 years so i have to reward you with a starting spot? there is way, way more that goes into it

Our high school hasnt start the season yet. We should have a real nice team and a fun year. This team has a state tournament run in them. IMO, the coach needs to bench 2 girls that started and Sophomores and Juniors and will be seniors this year for 2 freshmen (My DD is an 8th grader and will not be playing varsity). It will make the team better. TEAM trumps individuals.

I think an underclassman needs to be head and shoulders better than an upperclassman to fill her spot. Underclassmen can play JV or wait their turn if their abilities are similar, Upperclassmen will probably quit if benched. And while that may not be a big deal in some areas, we are lucky if we have 20+ girls for tryouts and a lot of players have to play JV and V.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
No, no, no.
If you have two players of equal ability, then why in the world would you take the older one? Simply because they've managed to breathe for a year longer? Take the younger one who will gain a year of experience and, in all likelihood, be better down the line due to that extra experience.

You take the older one for a few reasons: For many players high school could be the end of softball - so the window of opportunity to play this game is less for the older player so you should take this into consideration. You may also take into consideration work and time put into the program already. Long term passing over the older player for an equal younger player can be bad for the program (i.e. making sure kids keep playing year after year). Coach may have a longer term comfort with the older player.

There are arguments for the younger player as well - such as the ones you make.

Sometimes it matters whether you are winning, losing or performing or under-performing.

Many coaches try to balance this - others just set a policy because it is 'easier' and less to deal with. Ours just doesn't ever talk to parents during the season - only the players - and makes it clear the best 9 bats are in the lineup and he figures out the field from there.

I am not saying these should be the deciding factors on who starts and plays, but they should be taken into consideration. And everyone does it differently.

...and as a coach no matter how or why you decide, someone will think you are getting it wrong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA