HS drama is fun ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2015
Just out of curiosity, how do you think your DD would feel if she put in all of the hard work you describe as a freshman and sophomore only to be benched as a junior because a hotshot freshman took her spot?

She would be hurt. I would tell her she has 2 choices - quit or get better. I am not your typical parent though. I have coached from 5th grade through the college level. I have benched seniors for 8th, 9th and 10th graders. Team before individuals. Too many people have lost that concept, its all about ME.

the scenario you mention above could just happen for my DD1, but it could be her little sister replacing her. DD2 has more ability, but a weaker work ethic.

This is the conversation i had with DD1 a few weeks ago driving to practice. I told her that i had no idea how this season was going to pan out for her or her entire career for that matter, but i was tremendously proud of her and the effort she has put in to get better. She is not the most athletic girl, but i know that nobody on her team has worked harder than her to get better. I explained that would not guarantee success. I did tell her that she will be rewarded at some point for her efforts. It might not be on the softball diamond, but it might be in the game we call life. I know her limitations. She also plays basketball, volleyball and runs track. She runs track for other sports. in basketball and Volleyball, I see her being a role player. Not ever being the star, but in all likelihood being the smartest player on the team. She is destined to be a teacher and a coach. It is a gift that she has.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Team before individuals. Too many people have lost that concept, its all about ME.

Sometimes a freshman has a harder time understanding that than a senior. And it's possible, IMO, that placing some value on seniority (ie, what you've done for the program when making roster/lineup decisions) can be better for the TEAM and for long-term program success than a purely 'best-9' approach.

I haven't disagreed with hardly anything that you've posted in the thread, btw. I just think you might be railing against a point of view that has not been espoused here, the idea that seniority should carry heavy weight, or rule.

The only debate that is legitimate is whether time served in a program should matter at all. Some say no. IMO, if you've got a freshman and a senior that are basically the same, it's better to make the freshman bear the burden of proving beyond reasonable doubt that she's better. Don't let a senior play just because she's a senior.

I think it's good for a freshman to learn that she needs to be clearly better to beat out an older player. Freshman often have more trouble understanding TEAM than seniors because travel ball doesn't teach it very well. In TB, you get what you want - either on your current team, or by finding another team. We can talk about seniors feeling entitled to playing time because they are seniors. But we also could talk about freshman who feel entitled to playing time just for being just slightly better, as if there is no value in having spent 2-3 years in a program, learning about what it means to sacrifice and play for something bigger than yourself.

All that sounds like I'm against freshmen. I'm not. If she's clearly top 9, put her in. But I would not ignore these dynamics altogether.

Nov 16, 2015
I get what your saying CoogansBluff and i respect that. I have tried to make 2 points in this thread.

1. Dont assume a senior has put in the time. I guess that depends on your definition of time. If your being on the team is the definition then yes they are. If you factor in what is asked of them from a year round perspective, then they might not be. I did use my dd as an example here. the 9th grader i referenced is a freak athlete. IMO, she needs to be on the field with the varsity. My dd does not. Travel ball does not factor in here bc my dd is the only girl that plays it in the school. That is a completely different story.

2. Team before individuals. I think the best 9 need to play the majority of the innings. You can take into account Team goals and expectations here to balance the this season vs longevity of the program. that will be a philosophical decision by the coach.

espoused? Man you give me credit for being smarter than i really am. I'm just a softball guy :)

Feb 3, 2011
There is value in loyalty. But I smell entitlement.

There's nothing wrong with wanting your children to achieve success or glory. The key word there is "achieve". Biding one's time isn't exactly an achievement. Parents should get out of the orchestration business and stop crippling their kids by fueling the entitlement complex.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA