Hs coaches calling pitches that dont work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 21, 2010
Anyone come across a HS Coach that doesnt know how to call pitches?

At first they were allowing the catchers to call the game. They weren't doing a bad job but still need to be taught to mix up locations.

Then the coach started calling pitches, that seemed to be continual Fastballs. No locations, just movement pitches at the same speed. In 2 straight games my daughter pitched 2 innings each. Not once did they call a change up? You may say he knows she cant throw one, but she can and has different styles that if one isnt working for her she goes with another.

I can't believe all the years this coach has been coaching cant call locations on top of that. You might as well put a Tee there and let them Tee off on her. It wouldnt be so bad if the defense behind her would back her up. I seen a post earlier regarding Upperclassmen being held on Varsity because they owe it to them, even if that means that is not your best defense?? Not sure this coach is looking to put his best team on the field! Error after Error and dont get me wrong, I feel for these girls that consistently make mistakes, but most of the time it is easy pop ups or slow grounders...My daughter is frustrated but doesnt want to take it out on her team.

Should she approach the coach and ask him to mix up her pitches more?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She can, of course, try that. But, I want to point out that it is dangerous for a pitcher to stand out there and "allow" batters to hit. I personally wouldn't allow her to pitch, if she was my DD. Does she play travel ball and have another team? Or is this her only opportunity to pitch? What happens if she shakes off a pitch and throws a CU? Is the season almost over?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
If your daughter believes she'd be more effective throwing different pitches, then yes, I believe that it would be appropriate to express that to the coach in a respectful way.

Jul 26, 2010
My daughter had a travel ball coach like that once, she called him on it, and was told, "pitch what I tell you and don't shake it off". Luckily, that same day he threw BP. My DD and two of her friends made it a point to drive the ball straight up the middle as he tossed out his meatballs, and he was hit several times. I've no idea if he still has the same philosophy or if he has dared throw meatball BP to A ball players ever again, we promptly left that team.

-W

Aug 10, 2010
My daughter is in a similar situation. In travel ball, coach calls the pitches very well and utilizes her change-up a lot, which keeps them guessing and off balance. In high school, coach rarely calls any change-ups. For example last night, my daughter said she threw 2 in 7 innings. WAY to few for my liking. We won, but she had a shaky first inning giving up two hits then only 2 more the rest of the game. I may have to put a bug in the coaches ear sometime but for now I will wait and see how the season progresses.

Jan 25, 2011
Woo slow down,now take a deep breath,you might want to read your post.You are having that pitchers crazy parent moment.Iam not saying you cant have one,but you have to control it.Okay! So you are having a issue with what the coach calls for pitches, a cu call is something you would like to see.This is where your dd has to prove to the coach,she can work it in and have it be effective.She needs to again "SHE" needs to prove her cu to the coach.Iam not be no means saying your dd cant throw a cu,she should talk to the coach and tell him or her that she has been working on it and would like him to take a look.Now as far as upperclassmen being held on varsity,well thats HS ball sometimes,no it isnt always fair,I would play my best 9 myself,but it doesnt work that way sometimes.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, your DD is the victim of the "TB coaches calling pitches". First, It sounds like she doesn't have a clue how to really pitch. Second, she has to take responsibility for the outcome of the game.

(1) The coach doesn't call location. So what? She can throw the ball to any location she wants...up, down, inside, outside.
(2) The coach doesn't call change ups. Again, so what? She can change speeds. My DD (she did quite well in D1) didn't throw a change up, but she changed speeds with all of her pitches. E.g., her drop ball varied from about 55MPH to 63MPH. In a pitch sequence, the batter might see a 62 MPH fastball, a 55 MPH curve drop, a 60 MPH straight drop, and a 58 MPH fastball.

Finally, she has to stop making excuses and find a way to "get the job done". She is the final decision maker as to what happens with the ball.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMHO, your DD is the victim of the "TB coaches calling pitches". First, It sounds like she doesn't have a clue how to really pitch. Second, she has to take responsibility for the outcome of the game.

(1) The coach doesn't call location. So what? She can throw the ball to any location she wants...up, down, inside, outside.
(2) The coach doesn't call change ups. Again, so what? She can change speeds. My DD (she did quite well in D1) didn't throw a change up, but she changed speeds with all of her pitches. E.g., her drop ball varied from about 55MPH to 63MPH. In a pitch sequence, the batter might see a 62 MPH fastball, a 55 MPH curve drop, a 60 MPH straight drop, and a 58 MPH fastball.

Finally, she has to stop making excuses and find a way to "get the job done". She is the final decision maker as to what happens with the ball.

Sluggers!! You didn't say the F word on this post did ya? Fastball.......... I can already here the rebuttals typing in the background. :)

Apr 21, 2010
I really appreciate this post. This is what I said to my husband. "She" needs to change her pitches. The catcher should be able to catch whatever. And throw a change up but since she is only called up to varsity once in a while we dont want to tell her to disrespect the coach.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Maybe the coach doesn't have a lot of confidence in the catcher to dig change-ups and drop balls out of the dirt?

You also stated that she doesn't get called up to pitch varsity much so maybe the coach has not worked with this pitcher much and is being very conservative with the pitch calling?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC