HS Class of 2013 - Now What?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2012
Well, my top college choices have completed their recruiting for the class of 2013....and I am still looking. Any suggestions on what I should do to try to be recruited this fall - or next spring?

Apr 6, 2012
First, don't give up. Go back and look at your list of colleges. Narrow your focus a bit to those schools where you want to go, have your major, etc. Write the head coaches at those schools an e-mail telling them how you did this summer, where you played, etc. Make sure you also mention the classes you will be taking in your Senior year. Talk to them about your academics, etc. Second, get on a good team for the Fall that will be going to showcases where these coaches may be. Everyone assumes that if something hasn't happened by the end of the summer or the end of the Fall , that it won't happen. They are wrong because many schools are still out there looking. Also, remember that players do walk on at many schools. It won't get you money, but sometimes that can change. So, find schools you love where you have a realistic chance of walking on.

Don't get caught up in the frenzy of other players verballing. I had a former high school player who, as of April of her Senior year, had no offers. She is a great player but things just didn't work out, plus she and her parents started the process late. She talked to the head coach of a very good DIII near her, and that is where she will be going and, hopefully, playing. She is quite happy.

Part of the recruiting process is tenacity.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am not an expert on the subject, but I bet there are still a lot of DII and DIII schools looking for 2013 graduates, and there are probably even a few DI's who will miss on some of their targets. If you are a solid player with good academics, you should be able to find a fit. Expand your list of potential schools and contact the coaches. I would also reach out to the coaches at your first choice schools letting them know you are interested and available and ask them if they know of any schools looking for a player with your skill set. Good luck!!!!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
What these people are saying is very true!

Also, do not turn your nose up at NAIA schools or even JC's.

My DD is in almost the same place as you are. She has a back-up plan though and an offer from a JC in Alabama, just incase...

Just so you know that it is NOT TOO LATE... One of DD's team mates graduated this spring (2102) and had no prospects at all until just last week, she was offered a full ride to a DI in New York.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Take the realistic approach and stay the course with academics by
choosing the school that best fits your major. Once enrolled, you can
tryout at the first practice, if you don't make the team, focus on your education
and use your passion in local leagues during summer breaks to coach,
help run clinics etc.

Sorry to hit you with the reality bug

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I am going to assume that baseball is similar to softball in recruiting. Last Spring in the middle of the HS season, a boy from our HS who was class of 2012, received an offer from a D1 school. He was not on their radar until this spring, they had a decommit and boom he got picked up. Don't despair, go after some other schools who you have not contacted, see if they have any camps and go. Send them a video... Become your own best voice. its certainly not too late.

Jul 9, 2010
As others said, broaden the schools you're looking at. With each school only needing a few players, the opportunity for disappointment is high. Keep looking for more schools, and contacting coaches. Many D2's, D'3's, NAIA, and JC will have openings. Smaller D1's may as well.

Just keep contacting people. If you haven't done it yet, get a skills video up on the web for them to look at. There is still time to play in college.

Feb 8, 2009
Try junior college. A good one would get you a look from a D1. See if that coach (hopefully he's honest) has good D1 connections. Junior college is a great way to see if you really are interested in the committment a D1 school would require.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
You can check out Ultimate College Softball forum under ASA Gold - To which colleges are they going? This will give you a list of D1 schools and who has committed/signed by year. Some of the mid and smaller schools have not finished with 2013. Then you can contact those schools that offer your major. Make sure you are on an elite team in good tournaments playing against good competition.
Good luck!

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Great thread with some valuable info. My DD attended a camp where there were a few DI's there and many other level's as well. All of them (aside from Alabama) stated they were still looking to fill 2013 slots. This was a few months ago but what I'm getting at is there is always still time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06