HS Ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yo:
your amount of parent involvement after school is unheard of. Not one parent here takes the kid and brings her back. Of course the upperclassmen may get in their car and come back for indoor gym if it rains. Practice should not be starting so late, but in that case, our school has after hours homework classrooms, and library availability.

Stop being so involved. She does not need the fast food. We make arrangements here with boosters and parents to get the kids some good food at school, and no kid is ever home at 8pm. Plus we have some good food at the next door grocery store. So I think there is some exaggeration going on.

You could make time if you wanted to. We have several kids across JV and V with other commitments (like drama and ROTC). They are all doing fine.

Our pitchers who are not pitching can come early and one of my assistants will meet them. We will work with whatever program they bring us. So far, only one has taken us up on it. So the issue is elsewhere (with attitude) if you ask me.

OILF, our situation here is actually common for our area so please bear with me as I explain. DW teaches in an inner city school system. Since she is technically a city employee, we have to live within the city limits. However, the school system is in both academic and fiscal emergency. It has been for years due to poor Administrative decisions but that's another topic of discussion. Our state allows students to go to other school districts which have open enrollment if the school the student would normally attend is in academic emergency. That being said, neither school system will bus students outside of their school district nor are open enrollment students allowed to ride the busses. Unfortunately, DD won't be driving for another year so I really don't have a choice about picking her up and taking her back since the school requires all students to be out of the building by 3 for liability and security reasons. The school system does have after hours programs but they are held in the elementary building which requires bussing which again, she's not allowed to do.

We live in what was once voted in a USA Today poll as the city most likely to never economically recover (old steel town that had all our eggs in one basket). Our city is also routinely in the top 5 cities per capita for murder and has won the national murder capital award on numerous occasions. Therefore, even though many of her team mates/friends drive, very few can afford the insurance and gas to put in a car let alone a car itself. Needless to say, I'm not leaving DD to stand outside the school in that neighborhood either. The softball fields they practice/play games on are about 3 miles away in a city park. In this day and age, I don't want the kids walking there through even worse neighborhoods. They are nowhere near as bad as the inner city neighborhoods where a majority of the crimes happen but it's still a pretty rough section of town and there's too many whackos out there.

With all that said, the school DD goes to is a 20-25 minute drive in traffic from our house. So figure it out. All games start at 5 with the players required to be there (home games) by 4 for warm ups so that leaves me an hour and 15 minutes between pick-up at school and warm-ups with a 50 minute round trip drive to the house. The away games, I don't have to worry about because the bus leaves from the school by 3 or earlier.

2 to 2 1/2 hour games depending on defense and pitching. Some are faster but the average around here is 2 hours or so. The game's over by 7. Load the bus and get back to school by 7:45 assuming that their opponent is here in town. Some are an hour and a half away or further. By the time we get home its 8:15 on a good night from the away games. Practice and home game nights we still don't get home until 7:30 or so and that's assuming practice ends on time or the games don't go into extra innings as it did last night.

As far as the food goes, yes, when traveling on the bus the booster club provides good food for the girls on the way. But for home games when she has to be out of the building, what would you suggest? We would be spending all of our time driving to and from the school/fields if we went home to eat and the quickie marts and grocery stores are more expensive. I have to get her anyway so what's the difference if we stay in the area and go to a Subway for 1/2 hour?

It's nice that you provide a coach to work with your pitchers at their convenience after school. Unfortunately for us, the coaches are all teachers at the HS or MS and by the time they finish grading papers, change, etc. (i.e. HC has to go pick-up her 3 month old DD at daycare and drop her off a mom's) they are pushing to make it to the fields or gym on-time to begin with.

By the way, I usually end up with several of her teammates also. As I've mentioned before, many don't have vehicles and the few that do, take the other girls on a first-come first serve-basis to the fields. In our state, teens are limited to a certain number of other teens that are allowed to be in the vehicle with them at one time so there are usually a few left standing there.

Everyone's situation is different. As I said before, there are any number of reasons people live where they have to live which creates difficult circumstances for them. I don't really want to live where we do but it happens to be the nicest part of this town, if you could call having a 9 YO girl shot and killed by an errant bullet last week while sitting at her dining room table doing homework, nice. However, because of DW's job, we don't have a choice. We have to live within the city limits and no other school district will hire her due to her having 24 years of experience and a Masters degree. So as a branch of our proud armed services say, we adapt, we overcome and we survive doing the best we can for our kids by trying to give them every opportunity to thrive.

Just because you may not have seen these circumstances in your area doesn't mean they don't exist nor are they exaggerated as you may think. My amount of involvement, although unheard of in your area, is quite common in ours. Many students from the city attend this school system on open enrollment. This amount of parental involvement in this area is not only common, but, IMO, and the opinion of many other parents in our area, necessary, as is evidenced by the number of parents who do the same thing as I do.

So if DD were to still be pitching, it's quite obvious by our circumstances that it would truly be a struggle to find time to practice and stay sharp during the 6 weeks of HS ball unless she got circle time in games.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yo:

You should just move to the land of OLIF. I case you have not noticed whatever issue, concern, situation exists elsewhere it either does not exist or cannot exist in OLIFland. It is obvious that you have no clue how to raise your DD, what she needs to eat, what she truly needs, and what is best for her. It reminds me of all the folks that have moved to Florida that readily point out how much better they did it back in Perfectville, USA. I am more than happy to provide them with bus fare back to their mythical perfect world where they do it right and everyone eats rainbows and poops butterflies. So far no takers. :)

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Yo:

You should just move to the land of OLIF. I case you have not noticed whatever issue, concern, situation exists elsewhere it either does not exist or cannot exist in OLIFland. It is obvious that you have no clue how to raise your DD, what she needs to eat, what she truly needs, and what is best for her. It reminds me of all the folks that have moved to Florida that readily point out how much better they did it back in Perfectville, USA. I am more than happy to provide them with bus fare back to their mythical perfect world where they do it right and everyone eats rainbows and poops butterflies. So far no takers. :)

I think that OILF and SCDad must be neighbors and share high tea on the back lawn together:rolleyes: I lived in Naples for many years and due to circumstances had to move back to Ohio. While living there, I distinctly remember the big hit bumper sticker that said "I <3 (heart) N.Y.!" I used to have the bumper sticker that said "If you <3 N.Y. Take I-95 North!"

Last edited:

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
These high school vs tb arguments are tired.

Back to the OP. Let her play right field. She isn't going to forget how to pitch. What's it going to take, an inning to get her sharpness back? I'll repeat the statement someone made about her coming back refreshed from the time off.

It cracks me up to read the same people complain about little Suzy throwing 3 games on Saturday and overuse injuries but still maintain a 3-5 days a week practice regimen that consists of 2 hours of pitching where she is throwing more pitches each practice than over those 3 Saturday games then going to the tournaments? Makes no sense.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think that OILF and SCDad must be neighbors and share high tea on the back lawn together:rolleyes: I lived in Naples for many years and due to circumstances had to move back to Ohio. While living there, I distinctly remember the big hit bumper sticker that said "I <3 (heart) N.Y.!" I used to have the bumper sticker that said "If you <3 N.Y. Take I-95 North!"
Use to have the same sticker.

Used to see this posted in businesses:

LABOR RATES
Base Rate - $30/hr
If you worked on it first - $40/hr
If you watch - $50/hr
If I have to listen to you tell me how much better it was up North - $100/hr.

May 14, 2010
So the HS coach can see the talent in an 8th grader and bring her up to Varsity, but they are too ignorant to realize that she is pretty much the best player on the team so he buries her in RF?

I don't have the option of playing JH students in my HS program. But I can't think of even one instance where I would have been tempted over the years. I can't imagine a situation where an 8th grader would have truly been my best infielder, let alone Pitcher. And I don't work at a school with hundreds of students.

Oct 18, 2009
So the HS coach can see the talent in an 8th grader and bring her up to Varsity, but they are too ignorant to realize that she is pretty much the best player on the team so he buries her in RF?

I don't have the option of playing JH students in my HS program. But I can't think of even one instance where I would have been tempted over the years. I can't imagine a situation where an 8th grader would have truly been my best infielder, let alone Pitcher. And I don't work at a school with hundreds of students.

Obviously every school and region is different with different levels of talent. In our area marginal players can be brought up from 7th/8th grade to varsity if they are in a school district with not enough good players. At one school in our area they had one girl pitching varsity as a 7th grader; another one catching varsity since 7th grade. Neither would be good enough for a lot of other varsity teams in the same area.

That is why for some players in our area I think they might be better off to skip HS ball altogether if their school is a program that is that bad.

Mar 23, 2010
DD is an 8th grader, was on the varsity roster last year as a 7th grader, got to pinch hit 3 times, otherwise played JV, then came over for the last part of the varsity game.

She also plays TB for an elite program and primarily is the pitcher or 1st base. She does OK...right at 60MPH for her fast and drop, decent screw, change and a very nice rise. Pitches well, so I've been told.

DD makes the varsity roster as a starter, takes primarily reps at pitcher and 1st base, in all honesty, she is probably the #2 pitcher, but was told that she was the #4 (which is a joke) and won't get to pitch at all. She also was placed in right field as the starter. For our opening day, she is a better infielder than three of the starting 4 we had starting.

With no pitching time, and her being relegated to right field, I'm tempted to ask the coach to move her down to JV so she can pitch and play 1st. Is this wrong? She is OK with it. Though I know she would rather stay with the varsity, but understands why it might be more important.

Our TB coaches expect her to hit the ground running at the start of June and we honestly cant take a month and a half off and play outfield...

Any thoughts are appreciated.

R

Quite obvious that you are what I call a rec ball Dad. To even begin to think that an outfielder is any less valuable on a team than any other position is absurd. Your best athletes on a team are your outfielders. And like one of the earlier posters said if your daughter can pitch 60mph and is the #4 pitcher you all must have an amazing program.

Apr 11, 2013
I'll try to respond to as many of the posters as I can. But I do appreciate all of the comments.

#1 I never said that playing outfield is any less important. I understand how important it is, it's not her natural positions, as she hasn't played it in a year and a half, and was told to practice RF the day before her first varsity game.

#2 The #4 designation was by the coach, who in my opinion, doesn't really work real hard at being a great head coach. Other TB coaches were dumbfounded when I told them who the #3 pitcher was. In reality, she probably is the #2, but because of age, won't get that opportunity. I get that.

#3 This isn't about where she is placed, she is a varsity caliber player, my concern was not getting any pitching reps or infield reps in practice (yes, the HS coach doesn't want her taking infield reps anymore) and trying to be ready for a national TB schedule at the start of June. Does that make sense?

On a side note, my DD is a somewhat reserved kid, and not in so many words, she is pretty fired up about this. I've been positive, saying that this is obviously what he wants for the team. But she knows the kids starting in the infield and at pitcher and she knows she is better and in her words "kind of pisses her off"---in my mind I smiled a little when she said it. Anyway, she talked to the coach last night and asked what can she do to earn a spot in the infield or what she needed to work on, asking in a good way in my opinion. The HS coaches response was "I don't really know" and followed it up by you'll get plenty of work at pitcher and 1st this summer. I didn't even know what to say.

Again, thanks for the different perspectives.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi