HS Ball question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
For some there is life beyond high school. Others just spend their lives reminiscing about their glory days. High School is a means to an end, not a destination. Get over it.

Jul 2, 2013
For some there is life beyond high school. Others just spend their lives reminiscing about their glory days. High School is a means to an end, not a destination. Get over it.

And college softball is just a means to and end also, and it too will be over.

It is the ability to live in the moment, embrace others and share the gifts they bring. Put yourself aside and give to the people who give to you. Share with others, focusing in on the folks who give and ignoring the ones who take. Stay away from folks who only think of me. This is what lasts a lifetime.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2010
Your DD is an 8th grader. She is on varsity at your high school, is getting every AB, and every defensive opportunity in the outfield.

And you decided there was such a problem that you needed to write into a national softball forum for an evaluation? ... sigh.

You do not want my opinion.

you took the words right out of my mouth

KDD

May 10, 2010
I think if she throws 60 with a good drop, screw, rise and change and never gets to pitch, I don't want to play your varsity. Sounds like she has a lot of success in front of her!

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
6 weeks of playing OF is not going to kill her and you can practice pitching on your own at home.

James, I have to disagree with you on this. DD plays HS ball and they either play or practice every day of the week. DD gets out at 2:45 from school. If she has an away game, she usually leaves on the bus at 3:00. If the games at home, I pick her up, throw some fast food down her throat and have her at the field by 3:45 for warm -ups. By the time we get home, it's anywhere from 8-9 p.m. Then she has to shower and do her homework and truly eat dinner. If no game on a weekday, I pick DD up at 2:45 and she comes home to eat and do homework for an hour. Then off to practice from 4:30-7:00 or so. Then she has to shower, finish her homework and eat since she's always hungry after practice/games. By the time it's said and done, the practice nights she's in bed by 10 and game nights she's in bed by 11....if we're lucky and the games aren't 1 and 1/2 hours away. On the weekends, we play catch-up even though we have 2 hour practices each day. However, oftentimes, we have HS softball fundraisers, family functions and church on Sundays. So if DD was still a pitcher, when would you expect her to practice except for a possible 2-3 hour window on Sundays?

The point is, 6 weeks with one day of a 2-3 hour of pitching practice a week just doesn't cut it when it comes to keeping a pitcher sharp. If I were in those circumstances and DD still pitched, I would recommend that she go to the HC and asked to be moved down. That being said, If she were the #2 pitcher out of 2 quality pitchers on the Varsity team, I wouldn't expect the coaches to honor the request but I would expect them to be a little offended and possibly cause future repercussions. If she's #3 or worse, then the practice would come in the form of the JV game circle time.

Dec 29, 2010
To add on to yocoach post, hs season ends, she gets into tournament ball. No way will she be sharp in the beginning. Pitchers gotta pitch to live batters and get that mound time. Even if you think jv is a demotion (not saying u specifically), she could be working on her weaker pitches to become a better pitcher for her tournament team. HS has them for a couple of weeks, tournament/travel has them the rest of the year. 8th grade is still middle school, dont rush, enjoy the ride.

Apr 10, 2014
San Diego
I'm a big fan of playing, so once player and parent get beyond the ego boost of making a varsity team the question is...will she play. As a high level travel coach I'd much rather see my players play during the high school season than sit. High school ball is always a pecking order, so the seniors and juniors will likely get more playing time as the freshman (or 8th graders) need to wait their time.

I would speak with the coach to at least give her some reps on the JV team to prepare her for travel. Let him or her know that riding the pine isn't going to help her for the summer. Hope this helps!

John

Oct 18, 2009
This is a good situation to be in and its a good question to ask here.

If this were my DD I would advise her to stay on varsity. Learn RF. Hit the crap out of the ball. Be the best teammate possible. It will serve her better as a person and overall softball player down the road. I believe in karma and find it usually works out for those with good attitudes, are good teammates and have good work ethic.

I would also practice pitching every day (or other; whatever you guys do) with her so she is ready for TB. She won't be behind when TB season starts. She might actually be fresher and ready to last the TB season than she would have if she pitched the HS Season.

Jul 2, 2013
Agreed with fastpitch. Many times the #2 pitcher in HS hardly ever sees the field. Stays in the dugout, only showing in relief.

Pitchers and parents have the most adjustment as any for HS softball. Many times they do not hit. If not the #1, do not pitch much either.

Be thankful the HS coaches are developing her in the OF. Giving her AB's. Though that is not your goal, the outer outfield positions, good speed, good tracking ability, good arm and big bat is one of the most sought after positions at the next level.

Gone are the days of just taking an extra infielder and sticking her in the outfield. Must develop the bat, always.

Good back-up plan, and smart utilization by these HS coaches. Get your pitching reps in travel. When she does earn that #1 pitching position in HS, she will have become a great hitter, and she will hit as a pitcher as well.

Not much value in dominating in the circle on the JV level. Though hard not to wish for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole