how would you ruled this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Does the fact that the batter turned to look at the catcher and then moved into the throw count for anything? Does the running lane apply to retired batters, or only runners who have not yet been thrown out? I can easily see this being interference and both outs recorded.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I don't see how they called interference at all, the b/r had her back to the catcher before the catcher threw the ball. What is she suppose to do disappear?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I have to agree with chinamigarden. Batter out and BR out due to interference even if the batter was out already. Looked to me as if the interference or, non-interference as the case may be, was intentional.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't see how they called interference at all, the b/r had her back to the catcher before the catcher threw the ball. What is she suppose to do disappear?

Actually there are times in games when yes, the player is supposed to just disappear (see Boston obstruction in MLB playoffs). But more then anything else they should also not turn into a throw.

Feb 7, 2013
Both runners out. Batter/baserunner looks back and sees the ball is going to be caught and drifts into the path of the throw (whether or not it was intentional doesn't matter) and thereby interferes with the play. Had the batter/baserunner continued on to first base without peeling off to the right, the catcher probably has a clear throw to first and no interference would have been called since the catcher caught the ball in foul territory and is three or four feet outside the line. FYI - I'm sure MTR will chime in and rip us all :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA