how to spend team money

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

jay

Mar 29, 2010
holland, oh
hi guys.

started a competitive travel team a little over a year ago and have run into my first real dilemma. of course it revolves around money.

we fundraised our tails off and generated way more funds than what we need to cover costs this season. as the coach, there's a couple great options:

-buy more softball (can't really do this though as i've already committed to what our tournnament dates are this summer...this would surprise my parents).

-purchase capital (training aids, upgrade catchers gear). we are a very low budget team and are using mostly the girls' personal stuff outside of catchers gear, balls, a couple helmets and other minor things).

-have one heck of a end-of-year team party.

-save the money until next year (some girls will be gone and i'm curious what their parents will think) and make some really nice purchases).

-new uniforms for this summer (we are wearing t-shirts with logos, names and numbers ironed on). they look OK.

-purchase a couple really nice bats.

i suppose my real question is, do you seek input from parents and/or get their approval prior to making large investments or do you just tell them how you spent the money?

thanks,

jay

Spend it on the now. Fundraising should be an annual event in order to keep upgrading your club.
When you look like a pro you feel like a pro!! I say get new snazzy uniforms and individual helmets. 2 tops, different colors with matching socks. Takes away the stress of washing each night during weekend tournaments. Bulk purchasing helmets is surprsingly cheap. Moreso parents will appreciate individual helmets. Sharing them is a health concern.

i suppose my real question is, do you seek input from parents and/or get their approval prior to making large investments or do you just tell them how you spent the money?

Getting parent opinions will create conflict. Full disclosure of your financial winfall will generate way too many distracting opinions.

New team bats does sound nice but thats a lot of wear and tear followed up by the pickle you'll be in when it breaks. I think each kid should have thier own that they chose, though pleasing all. Plus it wouldn't be fair for the kid that doesn't like any you got for the team.
Not to many travel teams supply highend bats.

Team capitol? A must have is a hitting net and a tee!!!! Training aids can be found for free on the internet. Catchers gear? what if the smallest kid has a passion to catch but doesn't fit into the teams gear. If you have mutliple sizes your equipment bag will explode.

Team partys are a blast but I say take them all to see a college softball game and watch their desire soar!!

Hope this helps as I'd love your problem.....congrats and good luck!

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Since you didn't say how much is way more than you need, I'll just tell you my wish list. In no particular order...

Nice uniforms... serious travel team girls like to look good.
Matching helmets... same reason.
Matching batbags... same again.
Portable net and T for before game warm up.
Wiffle balls or TCB balls, or both.

I don't know what your plans are for an end of season tournament are, but any thing left over could be split between all players to defray travel expenses. I might save a little for a small end of year party first though, how much depends on the age of the girls.

If you want to start a big debate, you can ask the parents for input, but you may get several that don't agree on anything. I would try to do something with the money this year for the people who raised it. Good problem to have though!!

May 25, 2010
Uniforms.
Uniforms.
Uniforms.

You can request player input on the style, but the decision to make this much needed and very appropriate purchase comes from you. Any possible resistance will be quickly brushed aside when the girls suit up for the first time in the new digs.

Catchers should have their own gear. Players should have their own bats. Some people like matching helmets, but my preference is for individualized helmets.

Mar 13, 2010
Another one who puts the vote in for uniforms. If you have enough money, why are you even waiting? Girls want to look good. Matching gear is always awesome. (just to give you an example, I'm 27 and both my team and the A grade team is mainly women in their 20s. We're currently begging our club to buy us club helmets with our numbers if we win the premiership) Shirts and helmets are usually not that expensive (here it cost me $30 for our team shirts and helmets are around $20 in bulk)

You also need training gear. Pop up nets are a fantastic idea, with one or two tees.

Jan 23, 2009
NE
What about carry over. Funds next year may not be as available as they were this year. I keep a starting amount left for the next year's start up costs. I have been lucky that my team has mostly stayed together. The one time a few girls had to move on, I took what we had left divided it by the number of girls and sent the corresponding amount per player to their new coach.

Feb 9, 2011
Have you ask the girls what they want to do with the money?

You would be suprized how smart they can be about what the team needs after spending all that time collecting it.

Feb 8, 2009
Since you didn't say how much is way more than you need, I'll just tell you my wish list. In no particular order...

Nice uniforms... serious travel team girls like to look good.
Matching helmets... same reason.
Matching batbags... same again.
Portable net and T for before game warm up.
Wiffle balls or TCB balls, or both.

I don't know what your plans are for an end of season tournament are, but any thing left over could be split between all players to defray travel expenses. I might save a little for a small end of year party first though, how much depends on the age of the girls.

If you want to start a big debate, you can ask the parents for input, but you may get several that don't agree on anything. I would try to do something with the money this year for the people who raised it. Good problem to have though!!

I agree completely. Most of the parents will be fine as long as it goes back to the team in some way. All of these ideas are good ones.

Oct 10, 2010
I'm just a Mom, but speaking as a Mom, here's another vote for uniforms! At least please, please get everyone a second jersey/t-shirt and some extra socks. I HATE dragging home at night and then having to stay awake to do laundry so the kid's uniform will be ready for a game the next morning. It depends how much money you've got--the girls will love snazzy uniforms. The parents will love simply having a second set, whether they're fancy or not. :)

If you don't have a tee and a hitting net, get those. A decent tough rubber tee that runs about $30 and something like a Juggs popup net for around $125 will provide another drill station at practice, let the girls warm up before games and will last for years.