How to get a few extra zzzz's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
We were down for fall games this weekend and had time to visit with my dd. She transferred over the summer and this year is a little more busy. She started in that the coaches wanted them getting 8 hours of sleep every night. Then proceeds to tell her schedule, 530 am weights, then classes, practice and study hall. The day usually wraps up around 9 before eating and showering so that gets her maybe 7. She now goes into how she gets extra zzzz's through the day.

-If she wakes before 3am to go to the restroom she gets dressed so she can get 3 more minutes in bed.
-She backs into parking spot at weights so she can get out of the parking lot faster which means she can nap an extra 2 minutes before first class.
-On Tuesdays and Thursdays she has only 2 classes. So now after weights she will go to the house, lay a towel on the bed (so she doesn't get sweat on the sheets) and gets a nap.

Pretty much any chance she gets for 5 minutes of sleep she takes it. Shorts or sweats, no makeup and a ponytail. She said "there are no guys here I need to impress." I bet this is the norm for many of the girls but is a change from last year for mine. She went from a 300 acre campus to a 1800 acre campus and now lives off campus. So the logistics alone has added time to her schedule. But some of the ways our kids adapt to college are pretty creative. I bet if share all the ways our kids get in an extra nap they could pull off 8 or 9 total. lol

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
DD#1 (softball player) only needs 5 hours of sleep to be fully rested. Drove us nuts when she was a toddler...we would put her in bed at 11PM, and she would be up at 5AM ready for a good time. In college, she was always wide awake at 6AM for weight training.

DD#3 (hoops player) needs 8 hours, but she can fall asleep anywhere at anytime, in less than 5 minute.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We were down for fall games this weekend and had time to visit with my dd. She transferred over the summer and this year is a little more busy. She started in that the coaches wanted them getting 8 hours of sleep every night. Then proceeds to tell her schedule, 530 am weights, then classes, practice and study hall. The day usually wraps up around 9 before eating and showering so that gets her maybe 7. She now goes into how she gets extra zzzz's through the day.

-If she wakes before 3am to go to the restroom she gets dressed so she can get 3 more minutes in bed.
-She backs into parking spot at weights so she can get out of the parking lot faster which means she can nap an extra 2 minutes before first class.
-On Tuesdays and Thursdays she has only 2 classes. So now after weights she will go to the house, lay a towel on the bed (so she doesn't get sweat on the sheets) and gets a nap.

Pretty much any chance she gets for 5 minutes of sleep she takes it. Shorts or sweats, no makeup and a ponytail. She said "there are no guys here I need to impress." I bet this is the norm for many of the girls but is a change from last year for mine. She went from a 300 acre campus to a 1800 acre campus and now lives off campus. So the logistics alone has added time to her schedule. But some of the ways our kids adapt to college are pretty creative. I bet if share all the ways our kids get in an extra nap they could pull off 8 or 9 total. lol

She transferred? I just google stalked your DD and found I will now have to root for a team from Texas? I'll do it....I won't like it...but I'll do it. Hope she kills it on the new team.

Dec 20, 2012
She transferred? I just google stalked your DD and found I will now have to root for a team from Texas? I'll do it....I won't like it...but I'll do it. Hope she kills it on the new team.

LOL, i'm an Okie and it's killing me as well! I appreciate it! It is nice to have her 5 hours from the house though.

Feb 14, 2010
Sling it,

That's hilarious. Brooke is learning the value of sleep right now. She absolutely loves what she's doing but it's a different level of time management.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd