How to drive your hip?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
All described in detail at HI.

In a similar fashion, Miyahira identified the need for scrunch including lumbar lordosis (arch lower back) and side bend (tilt) and scap dig (scap retraction/lateralABduction, not truly scap "loading" because you do not want to unload/protract or laterally ABduct until after contact in hitting - in overhand throw the scap does unload to whip the arm before release) to permit "spine engine"-type recruitment of elastic soft tissue properties to improve the swing.

Unlike golf, the high level BB swing is adjusted to be rear hip focussed to permit early batspeed for late adjustability.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not to rehash, but for the sake of discussion, I don't see the premature thrust in Maddie's swing

This is what I was referring to. But I'm just a dad. Looked to me like her front side was fully straightened at an earlier time than Cano. I'll bow out and allow the experts to analyze. See ya...

2vki6hg.jpg
10momyw.jpg

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
This is what I was referring to. But I'm just a dad. Looked to me like her front side was fully straightened at an earlier time than Cano. I'll bow out and allow the experts to analyze. See ya...

2vki6hg.jpg
10momyw.jpg

Hang out a bit FP; I thought you were talking about the other hip. LOL. Not sure exactly what you mean, but I'm sure it will get covered. I was looking at a different frame.

Last edited:

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
All described in detail at HI.

In a similar fashion, Miyahira identified the need for scrunch including lumbar lordosis (arch lower back) and side bend (tilt) and scap dig (scap retraction/lateralABduction, not truly scap "loading" because you do not want to unload/protract or laterally ABduct until after contact in hitting - in overhand throw the scap does unload to whip the arm before release) to permit "spine engine"-type recruitment of elastic soft tissue properties to improve the swing.

Unlike golf, the high level BB swing is adjusted to be rear hip focussed to permit early batspeed for late adjustability.

Yeah, but you guys didn't have this. ;)

lrpuh.gif

Seriously though; for me it took many visits to several different sites, not just Kelvin and HI, to nail down the feel of this movement. I think there are a couple of cues that make it easier for people to learn and feel.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hang out a bit FP; I thought you were talking about the other hip. LOL. Not sure exactly what you mean, but I'm sure it will get covered. I was looking at a different frame.

My mistake. I was under the impression that both hips were involved in flexion and extension, and that both were utilized throughout the sequence being discussed.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
LoL,,,,,,, here we go.

Gotta make it fun somehow, mann. Right?

Honestly, I do realize that going down that path is a waste of time and would be more counterproductive than anything. So instead of going that route, let's just make the assumption that the front leg and hip are not involved. Everything is controlled in the rear and everything that happens in the front is purely a reaction to what is happening in the rear. I'm fine with that. So is there any "timing" involved with that process at all? Whatever is happening in the rear that causes the front hip to extend and the front leg to straighten, shouldn't it occur at a certain time during the swing? Or would we be just as effective if we landed with our front leg already straight? If anyone is willing to share an answer, feel free to PM me so as not to blow up this thread any more than I apparently already have. Thanks.

349cgfd.jpg

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
lexieulllaunch1_zps6c1ca5b3.gif

Can you see how Lexie Elkins rear leg is turning forward and pulling rear hip forward as her hands are tight to her rear shoulder and the top of the bat is going backwards? She gets separation and stretch between her rear shoulder and upper torso that is resisting going forward and her (some call) "hip drive" that is driving forward. So in simple talk: hands are back, hips driving.

You are, like a majority of young hitters, are probably swinging at the ball with you arms. Your arms are going forward and your hips are staying back.

The finish of Lexie: can you see how the "hip drive" is pulling/launching her hands and bat through the ball? Her strong leg muscles are turning forward and her strong core/back muscles are pulling back so when released the swing is sling shot by the "hip drive" your coach is talking about.
lexiehippulled_zps90b45981.gif

^her hands are coming from behind the rear hip.

We do some pre set drills to help kids feel what it is like.

This is really a nice post. If you look at the hip action and then see the resistance down the leg, you get a sense of a kind of brief battle between the hips leading and the resistance down to the ground. As my dd always says, she gets that tension on the inside part of her back leg. Look at the video and see that. I don't mind the term drive the hips but the resistance has to be there. It can't be a turn of the hips w/o the resistance. JMHO!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Yeah, but you guys didn't have this. ;)

lrpuh.gif

Seriously though; for me it took many visits to several different sites, not just Kelvin and HI, to nail down the feel of this movement. I think there are a couple of cues that make it easier for people to learn and feel.

to nail down the feel of this movement
Are you going to share or if you have can you point me to the post/thread.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Gotta make it fun somehow, mann. Right?

Honestly, I do realize that going down that path is a waste of time and would be more counterproductive than anything. So instead of going that route, let's just make the assumption that the front leg and hip are not involved. Everything is controlled in the rear and everything that happens in the front is purely a reaction to what is happening in the rear. I'm fine with that. So is there any "timing" involved with that process at all? Whatever is happening in the rear that causes the front hip to extend and the front leg to straighten, shouldn't it occur at a certain time during the swing? Or would we be just as effective if we landed with our front leg already straight? If anyone is willing to share an answer, feel free to PM me so as not to blow up this thread any more than I apparently already have. Thanks.

349cgfd.jpg

Bold above .... the answer is "absolutely not".

No need to have a private PM discussion. Much prefer an open discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi