How Should we handle this ?????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello All

My daughter is a second year 14u player. She recently tried out for a very competitive organization that has two 14u teams. At first she was told that she was on the older team but without even having a practice she was been asked to move to the predominately younger team. They told us that they are trying to make both teams very strong and that this in no way is a downgrade. Each team will be playing the same competition and basically the same tournaments. On her tryout sheet she put 2nd base as a primary position and outfield as secondary. Both teams have about six core players returning. Two of the new girls on the older team played with my kid last year and were not as strong as her but they were not asked to move.

What should we do? How do I explain this to my kid? Should I ask the coach any more questions?

Thanks
JWP

In my humblest of opinions, I would leave it alone. She's playing for the organization, right? On one of two 14u teams, correct? There may be a method to their madness to which you are unaware. Just tell your DD that the coaches moved her because they needed to even out the teams, skill wise. Isn't that basically what they told you? No shame in that!!

Just my piddly opinion. Have fun this season! :)

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the reply...

I also forgot to mention? Should we consider that if a player is playing on the younger team she will not be able to play with that group of girls next year beacuse she will have to move up ? Just a food for thought.....

JWP

May 25, 2010
I probably would've tried to top-load one team, placing the remaining players on the 2nd team, but that's an organizational philosophy not everyone shares.

As for comparisons with other players, well, what we see is not going to be the same as what other people and coaches see, often because we're focusing on different things. In addition, while player #1 may have been much better than player #2 in 2009, a new year may have brought a softball awakening of sorts for player #2, who may have been just that much better during tryouts.

If she stays with the organization, then she'll try out for whichever team is age-appropriate for her in 2011, but that's not what you need to be concerned about right now. Fall 2010-Spring/Summer 2011 is what you're playing for at the moment, so focus on that.

I'm not in your shoes, of course, but I'd join with Hollyrock in saying you should just leave this one alone. Sure, it sucks to think you're on one team and to then be moved, but it's great that they did this before the team started practicing together, so everyone will be on the same page from Day One.

Don't overthink it.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She recently tried out for a very competitive organization that has two 14u teams.

If the organization is "very competitive", then it doesn't make a difference. Go with the flow.

Should we consider that if a player is playing on the younger team she will not be able to play with that group of girls next year beacuse she will have to move up ?

First, ask the coach. There is nothing wrong with talking to the coach about it as long as you are asking questions in order to understand. If you are confrontational, then there could be problems.

As SoftSoc said (alliteration, for those keeping score), it depends more on your DD than the others. At your DDs age, the abilities levels of the girls will change quite rapidly. It really is anybody's guess at this age as to who will be better next year.

Jul 26, 2010
I coach 12U in an org that has 2 teams in that division, usually I coach the "second team". Our philosophy during fall is much different then during summer. In fall, you're trying new things, stretching playing ability a bit, and trying to figure out where you will be come spring.

We "mostly" put older girls on one team, those that will be moving up in Spring, and put younger girls on the second team. This is especially true of pitchers who would have had very little pitching time on the older team, despite the fact that some of them are very strong in other positions. That said, we did put a few vets on the younger team. We did this for two reasons The first reason is that some kids simply had an attitude issue and we felt they needed to be humbled a bit. The second reason is that we wanted to give one or two of the older girls a shot at taking a leadership role, and seeing how they developed in that scenario. In either case, we keep our teams dynamic and will no doubt move girls around a bit between teams as the short fall season progresses. The whole point is to try and get the maximum playing time for all involved for development purposes, and not to try to go out and "win fall ball".

Your coaches may have had other reasons for setting the teams the way they did. The only thing you should really worry about, as a parent, is that your daughter continues to be challenged. If she's having to "pull" her throws or for some reason the second team isn't even attempting plays the first team normally makes, then there is an issue worth considering. Otherwise, I'd say leave it alone. There are probably 9 other sets of parents who think their daughter is an all-star and should be on another team too.

-W

Jun 16, 2010
1) its not up to you to decide which team she is on, it is up to them, and they decided. Accept it, or go elsewhere.

2) I can think of lots and lots of organizations each year with multiple teams where the younger team is better than the older team . And Im talking about national contender organizations. Where a '96 team is better than a '95, or even when a 14U better than a 16U. Dont be hung up on 1 yr average age.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
I appreicate all of the responses. My biggest issue would be if she is the only 2nd year player on a 1st year team. Girls like boys can be mean and tease a kid and that could hurt.

But I still cannot understand the logic, I think if she would have listed her primary position as outfield rather than infield we wouldnt be discussing this issue.

I am just concerned for her feelings and if it would negatively impact her ????

JWP

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
I'm a glass half full guy...always making lemonaid out of lemons.......

Perhaps the organization is looking to see if your DD is willing to step up and take charge and mentor the younger players and lead by example. The younger girls will come to rely and look up to her if she accepts this role. Your DD does not need to be a vocal leader, leading cheers, etc. She can lead by example on the field, being 1st onto and off the field every half inning, 1st @ practice and last to leave, organize carrying equipment, etc.

If this situation occurred with DD, that's what I would tell her and have her do.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
3'sDad makes a great point. If you want further elucidation on "making lemonaid out of lemons", read "Man's search for meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Frankl was a Jew imprisoned in Nazi concentration camps during WWII--and he made that a positive experience. Basically, Frankl says that "life is what you make".

I believe that your DD will somehow survive and prosper by playing on a 14U team in a competitive organization--assuming you stop wringing your hands and get out the lemon squeezer and sugar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55