How should a glove fold?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Based on these photos....It looks like I might have gotten the break in right on my son's Venci Junior. It is only a 10" glove so it might not have the same effect.

Keep in mind that small hands may struggle with the width across the palm of a dual-hinge break-in. Using a "finger-shift"* will often help.

* Pinky and ring finger together in the pinky finger stall, middle and index finger shift one stall over.

Jun 19, 2016
Keep in mind that small hands may struggle with the width across the palm of a dual-hinge break-in. Using a "finger-shift"* will often help.

* Pinky and ring finger together in the pinky finger stall, middle and index finger shift one stall over.

I tried that....He said "It feels wierd". I am not even sure that this glove was designed for a single hint break in. If you look at the sandallady link on the first page it would seem like that single hinge gloves have fewer vertical laces at the bottom. It is kind of perplexing because it is this awesome glove and it seems very easy to close, but the width of his hand my be playing a factor. Those stupid Mizuno prospect gloves with the notch might be the only thing that works for him now.

Jun 19, 2016
Before I got this Vinci Junior glove I even had him try one one of these 4 finger gloves at Academy. It pretty much short circuited his little head.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I tried that....He said "It feels wierd". I am not even sure that this glove was designed for a single hint break in. If you look at the sandallady link on the first page it would seem like that single hinge gloves have fewer vertical laces at the bottom. It is kind of perplexing because it is this awesome glove and it seems very easy to close, but the width of his hand my be playing a factor. Those stupid Mizuno prospect gloves with the notch might be the only thing that works for him now.

They ALL say "it feels weird" at the start. That's because it's different than what they've been used to. My DD, and 3 other girls on her team, all said EXACTLY the same words when they were asked to give it a try. Within a week, they all said it felt weird going back to the "traditional" way, and they love the leverage advantage of the finger-shift.

For your DS's glove, I would work on breaking down the heel to tighten the width of the "U" shape.

EDIT: Maybe tell your DS that a majority of MLB players use the finger-shift. ;)

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2016
They ALL say "it feels weird" at the start. That's because it's different than what they've been used to. My DD, and 3 other girls on her team, all said EXACTLY the same words when they were asked to give it a try. Within a week, they all said it felt weird going back to the "traditional" way, and they love the leverage advantage of the finger-shift.

For your DS's glove, I would work on breaking down the heel to tighten the width of the "U" shape.

EDIT: Maybe tell your DS that a majority of MLB players use the finger-shift. ;)

Thanks for the tip, although I think we need to come up with better shorthand than DS. I am not in the habit of referring to my son as "Darling". At any rate, I flattened out the heal of the glove so now not will lay like a pancake. It seems to work better for him. Amazingly, if I pop a ball in it and wrap if for a few hours it will still keep its shape. Likewise, if I flattened it down it will stay flat. He seems to be doing better with it now. It is a testament to the quality Venci put into a 10" glove.

I know this my be sacrilege to pancake a glove but his hand is too small for the dual hinge to work.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
[video]https://youtu.be/3i_x0neoseU[/video]

Here is one video of the Glove Guru breaking in a glove. There are several others, but it's worth a watch. Never microwave a glove no matter what your Slowpitch Softball friend says!

In my opinion you do not want a pancake for a glove. I look at the really good players' gloves and I see how they care for them and the shape. There was a kid on my DD's team that played IF but could not keep the ball in her glove. She was able to put the glove on a hit ball, but the ball would pop out almost every time. Her glove was a floppy pancake. I didn't have the heart to tell her dad that the glove was the problem not the kid. DD just got a Wilson A2000 and I will begin the break in process today.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi