How often should your DD take hitting lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I saw this question in another post and was thinking the same thing. My DD just started taking lessons last week. We are scheduled to go once per week. We had the lesson on Friday night, and have spent 2 workouts since practicing the drills. We go back Thursday night. She has also had a team practice, where she took batting practice. She gets about 200 swings in each workout. I am fairly confident in how much work she needs on pitching. I am less informed on the hitting side of the game. Is one lesson a week the norm?

Jan 25, 2011
My dd would go 3 days a week to BC,for about 1 1/2 hours during the winter.Then during the season once a week for 1 1/2.But she would hit at least 100 balls a day,some off the tee,soft toss and live.She would hit off the tee during the winter at home in the basement in between lessons.It all depends on how much better you want to get.It really doesnt take that much time to hit a 100 balls a day.The best batters in the world, work on thier swing everyday.I look at this way,if a pitcher is working everyday to get better,then as a batter you have to do the same.My dd pitches and she is what a would call average as a pitcher,but when she started working on hitting everyday,she had become that girl,you could count on for a hit.Her confidence at the plate was amazing,but that had alot to do with her BC,he is that kind of guy that brings it out of the player.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Everyday....what I mean is I have always thrown the ball underhanded to DD. Everytime, now I'm good at it...my strike zone is to the glove side at shoulder height. She frames my every throw. Now I guess I'm throwing after we get warmed up between 45-50 mph.... everytime...I concider it one of the most effective batting/catcher lessons....

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Joemcq51 ... once/wk is typical. Wouldn't recommend less. Some see me twice/wk on a regular basis, and those have improved nicely IMO. In preparation for an event (e.g., playing in a national tournament, HS tryouts, ASA tryouts) some will spend 5 or more days/wk for 2-weeks with me in private 1hr sessions ... and the better ones chart out a plan months in advance (one kid/dad 6 months in advance) where they'll visited at least 2-3 x/wk.

Once/wk is about ideal. Gives you time to seek fundamental instruction, to work on points-of-emphasis outside of formal instruction, to take your experiences throughout the week and seek improvement during the weekly hitting instruction, and to get other things accomplished in your life.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
IMO, it varies with the individual. No different than some students ( academically ) can look at material once and retain it, others must study for hours a night for the same results.

My fellow TB coach built a bating cage in his backyard, he does drills with his DD almost everyday of the year. Even with all that she is between average and a good hitter. Last year her BA was .320 for the season. ( she is one of the best 3rd base players I have ever seen with a man's overhand throwing speed )

Then we have one that just goes to a HC once a month, she hits the ball when needed ( in a pinch ) like she has a push button controller. Her BA last year .333

Mine has never been to a HC. ( came close a couple of times when we ran into the inevitable month slump ) We will go 4-5 times a year to my friend's backyard cage for a tune up. Since she started coach pitch at 6YO she has never batted outside of 3-4-5. That includes her TB team, ones she picks up on, MS and HS ball. ( just to let you know it's not daddy ball :) ) BA stays above .350 for all sanctions.

Last weekend at the tournament my buddy with the cage DD hit .170 in the #2 slot. ( he was going nuts ) Mine hit .500 in the #5 slot. The cleanup was 0 for 6, and she goes to a paid HC twice a week.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Last weekend at the tournament my buddy with the cage DD hit .170 in the #2 slot. ( he was going nuts ) Mine hit .500 in the #5 slot. The cleanup was 0 for 6, and she goes to a paid HC twice a week.

I wouldn't put much stock in shuch a small sample size.

Question for those who do go to an actual hitting coach multiple times a week on a regular basis - how do you afford it?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face

Question for those who do go to an actual hitting coach multiple times a week on a regular basis - how do you afford it?

I had given a years BA ( larger scale ) and then the most recent ( small sample ). My point was some are just natural, once they get a base foundation. Some have to steady work work work on it. Nothing wrong with either one.

My friend with the cage his DD makes straight A's, never picks up a book. Mine has to study to remain an A/B student.

My friend with the cage works his daughter for hours every week to maintain around a .300 BA. Mine rarely picks up a bat and still out performs most if not all on the teams she plays for.

My point is you can go to a HC everyday for 10 hours a day. That does not mean your DD will bat 1.000 Find what works for her to remain consistent at the plate. A DD hitting .400 for a season is better than one that goes yard 10 x's and bats .100

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Thanks for all the feedback. I can see that I may have to sell a lung to afford softball. 5 days a week with a hitting instructor......ouch. I am going to stick to once a week for a while. Thanks again.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA

When hitting lessons were available (wasn't until I was in HS, one summer when a batting cage opened and a D1 college player was home), I took them once or twice a week.

We paid for it by eating out less and that was my "summer fun activity".

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Using you post Amanda.

I think when you are young 8-12 YO, if you don't have a parent to teach you a HC may be a good option. What you need is the foundation, good mechanical skills. After that most of whatever they have taught you can be simulated at home. It shouldn't take 100 visits or 4 years of lessons to learn to hit a ball.

There is nothing different hitting at 12 than you will learn at 18. It's repetition, it's skills. All you do is to keep them sharp. Again, proper equipment at home, the time to use them, live batting practice, and real games should be it's own teacher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild