How not to "Hide the pitch"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Ever since Hillhouse started preaching about "hiding the grip" so as not to tip off the hitters, I've been paying more attention to where pitchers fix the grip. I never really watched it with my DD, because her pitching coach taught her on Day 1 to hide the grip.

I went to a 16U tournament a few weeks ago, and most of the kids were fixing the grip on their hip in plain view of the hitter. One girl, however, had taken the art of "showing the grip" to another level. She literally rolled the ball up the side of her body to just below her arm pit, wedged the ball under her b****y a little, and then arranged her throwing hand around the ball.

I couldn't help but wonder what thief was taking her Daddy's money.

May 5, 2009
Along this same line I would like to know what is the etiquette for a base coach when a pitcher is tipping her pitches? I was coaching the other day against a pitcher that would show me her change up every time. Voicing “Changeup” during her pre-motion didn’t feel quite right. Some other signal? Ignore the advantage?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Along this same line I would like to know what is the etiquette for a base coach when a pitcher is tipping her pitches? I was coaching the other day against a pitcher that would show me her change up every time. Voicing “Changeup” during her pre-motion didn’t feel quite right. Some other signal? Ignore the advantage?

Call your batter by her first name when the change up is shown. Just make sure you know all the kids names real well. I did that exact same thing once as a base coach for a 12u team. I didnt know all the names really well and had to yell out "Cmon you drive it" Every kid on that team looked at me like "What are you trying to say and are you talkin to me?"

Everything a pitcher does in her motions can be used to confuse the hitters. If she grips the ball at her side and then brings the hands together, hold the ball in the glove for a second or two. Move the ball hand around and make it appear you are changing the grip from what you DID show them when the ball was at your side. Change the grip or dont change it. Distract them and make them think.

Nov 29, 2009
In the glove

What I teach every girl I work with is to get their grip in the glove. I tell them to turn the ball in their glove a couple of times on EVERY pitch so to batter they are doing the same thing on every pitch.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
What I teach every girl I work with is to get their grip in the glove. I tell them to turn the ball in their glove a couple of times on EVERY pitch so to batter they are doing the same thing on every pitch.

If you put the ball in your glove the same way everytime, all you have to do is reach in and you can grip the ball quickly without having to spin the ball around, which may also give someone a clue to what you are throwing.

My DD's pitching coach has her practice getting her grip in her glove when she has free time, like in the car on the way to a tournament, etc.

She's always amazed at how many pitchers get their different grips with the ball on their hip (or similar), right out where everyone can see it. Pitching has really helped her pick up tells, etc., from other pitchers when she is batting.

I don't personally feel comfortable giving my hitters "clues" when I see certain pitches coming (heck...if you are coaching the bases, you can figure out the coach's signs to the catcher in about half an inning, for "most" coaches, if you really want to), so I try to help my girls figure it out on their own, and especially to tell their teammates when they pick up on something, like different grips, etc.

Mar 19, 2009

STEAL, develop a silent signal like crossing your arms. Just don't forget and cross your arms with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs and the game on the line!:D

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I agree. The kids are playing the game. I find it a little oily to yell out what kids are throwing.Teach the kids to figure it out themselves.

Why? That answer makes no sense. The idea is to try to win. Picking up pitches and tendencies is part of the game. Are you trying to be a goody two shoes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes