How much break for a decent drop curve?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sparky, again, you have to read my comments in context.

My DD threw lots of drop curve in college. But, she also had a big vertical movement pitch that she threw. Your DD threw drop curves, but she had a big vertical movement pitch.

That is the point I was trying to make...if a pitcher has only a drop curve in college, she will not be successful. Every good college pitcher has either a killer drop or a killer rise. If a kid doesn't have one, she won't pitch much.

Some pitching coaches teach the drop curve, curve or screw (if there is such a thing as a screw) like they will carry a kid in college. They won't. (And I'm specifically thinking of a certain peanut butter flavored coach in Chicagoland.)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
There is such a thing as a screw and there was a young lady who played her college career for a major D-1 college and was runner-up in the WCWS and she also threw a curve and drop curve. Her name was Stacey Nelson at the University of Florida and her go-to pitch was a screwball and it carried her four years in college and a spot on Team USA National team and NPF.

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Tojo, it is a step left and throw right pitch. A hard fastball inside is even better than the "so called" screwball. She is the exception not the rule.

Jan 27, 2010
Tojo, it is a step left and throw right pitch. A hard fastball inside is even better than the "so called" screwball. She is the exception not the rule.
I agree that alot of coachs don't understand how to teach the screwball to move and believe it is a step left and throw right pitch, but a hard fastball is hardly better than what you call the so called screwball. I disagree that Stacey Nelson being an exception to the rule. I was responding to Sluggers' post about the screwball won't carry a kid to college in absolute terms is factually incorrect.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves