How many to carry

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2010
A, A
We are new 12U team currently trying to fill our roster. We have 6 girls that played tournament level ball last year and 3 that were at the rec level most of last year but played some tournaments in the fall. All the girls we have had tryout so far have only played rec before(one has never played softball before but that is another story). We are for sure offering 1 girl this weekend and have asked 3 to come back for a second look. We originally wanted to carry 12 girls but is 13 a better number with the amount of girls that have not played tournaments before.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Carrying 13 can be tough. However, I know a team that did that. But what they did was give a girl a week off every week. Have the parents sign up for what week they would like to have off or just assign them a week off.

With 13 girls you will have 4 on the bench at all times and that is where parents will start getting upset about playing time. We usually have 12, but some think that is one too many too.

Jan 31, 2011
I reduced our 14U team roster to 11 this fall and it was perfect. We try to hit USSSA tourneys and everyone plays and we can bat the roster. However, all of these kids have played TB for 4+ years & thus are very experienced. When I first started a TB team at the 10U level, we had 13 players. It was one too many looking back.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
We would almost need to know the number of pitchers, catchers and speedsters that you have, to answer your questions. I'll take a shot in the dark and say "With so many beginners, I'd go with 13.". But the parents have to sign on to this and realize that a softball game can be quite short and everyone might not get to play every game. I would certainly give those girls a chance to be a pitch hitter or runner and then give them a complete game, the second game. Oh, and sit your DD as much as everyone else.

May 24, 2011
Monmouth County NJ
I'd go with a high number, at least 13. This is a new team with a lot of rec. players and if you have an active schedule through summer you'll need all of them. It will be quite a shock to a lot of the newer parents playing through the summer. There will be vacations and BBQ's were players wont be able to make all the games. My DD old team last year had 15 and I thought it was to many, guess what, not one time did we have over 12 players for a game and one time only eight made it. The team had one parent quit the team after the first tournament, saying it was going to be to much and take away from beach time. We stuck it out and left that team at the end of the season because most of the players moved up in age. We found a team with parents that understand how it works. DD new team carries 11 players and will always be looking for another pitcher or catcher.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
At 10U-12U, It a lot depends on the goals and schedule. I tend to take more kids with an experienced team which allows to develop younger/weaker players. With a not as experienced team I would roster 11 which allows those players more "game" time, as well as, more attention in practice. But that number depends a lot on how committed the family is going to be for the summer.

As many have said, a larger roster is needed as the players get older. Especially if it is a smaller community or if they are multi-athlete/activity players.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
13!!

I was given 15 players on a team I agreed to coach because I was not at the tryouts and all girls had a fair amount of playing time!
It was awesomely tough but no one complained because they saw I was doing my best!!

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
11 is the perfect number, but if you have one leave the team and a 2nd
suffer a serious injury, there is trouble. For this reason, I like to carry 12
13 is too many for me

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Tough to answer. Like Amy stated you need to know the make up of your team. I use to go with the low number, but if you want to play with the elite you need to go big. Some of the bigger organizations even have 14 plus. One of the top teams here had 12, lost two to ACL,s and one quit. Now they are in trouble.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
It seems to me with a relatively inexperienced team, 11 or 12 is a good number, as I think the goal should be to teach them to love the game - that won't happen if they are on the bench. Remember that in NSA, USSSA, and PONY, you can bat 11 with free fielding substitutions among those 11 in the lineup - for pool games it is a big help getting girls at bats and experience. With 12, you can have one sit out each game as a courtesy runner for your pitcher or catcher. With 13, it's a bit harder.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles