How many of you have cut a girl because of her parents after the Fall season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Some are now saying that the problem will show through the kids attitude and performance and that IS different. You cut a kid because they aren't performing well, not because there parents are a pain.

I have seen nasty, horrible parents and no I would never cut a kid because of it. If that parent is acting this way in public, they are even worse in private. I would talk to that kid and if it is that bad, consider a call to children's services.

If you cut them, do you give them all their money back?

GG

Lmao... children services?

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
First off, I am not back peddling, but want to apologize. This was posted under coaching and I am not a coach.

But I wanted to explain why this really ticked me off. As a parent of a kid who is working really hard and one day would like to be on a travel team, I have gathered a lot of input from this board about what is required to be on travel.

1. Really skilled
2. Really skilled at a lot of positions
3. Can hit
4. Can hit really well
5. Taking lessons is advised and/or required
6. Playing rec ball with friends in highly discouraged
7. Playing other sports is highly discouraged
8. Going to school activities is highly discouraged
9. You are required to practice up to 5 days a week
10. You are required to travel all weekend
11. You are required to have a good deal of money to pay for dues, tourneys, travel costs, uniforms equipment etc....

And NOW to see that my kid might be cut because of my behavior??

I would sincerely hope that if you do decide to cut a child and their family after meeting all of the above requirements you would sit down and have a frank discussion with the parents first that they are the reason and then a second meeting with the child and parents if the behavior continued so the parent doesn't blame the child.

Children's services are called for much, much less. You can be guaranteed that if a parent is willing to behave badly infront of everyone, it is much worse at home.

Lastly, with the travel team that was put together from our two rec teams this fall(and destroyed our instructional season opportunity), I found out that they already had about 6 of the kids picked before tryouts. A parent with a set of twins said you take both or you can't have the good one(oh and their uncle was the coach) so well, travel ball doesn't sit in the best light with me right now.

I will bow out now.

Namaste,
GG

None of this makes sense and you just might be " THAT PARENT"

Aug 20, 2013
Haven't been here in a while, but now having rethought, what you guys are saying does make sense. I don't cause any trouble, but my mind is always whirling at games about the injustices of it all. I don't have the experience of travel and I shouldn't have weighed in. It was an emotional response and I do regret it.

I am sure that all of you who have cut have given multiple warnings to parents and the child and at the end of the day, their inability to conform for the success of the team was their choice.

Thank you to all those who stated their opinions without slinging around insults.

GG

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Lol...injustices at the games... yes I hate those injustices at the youth softball games. SMH. DEFINITELY THAT PARENT!

Aug 20, 2013
Please Lord, Jesus Christ, forgive me of all my softball injustices upon this board and all the lives and have wrecked. I am not perfect and never claimed to be. Please accept these offerings at your alter as I beg your forgiveness for all that I have done. If all the slashes at my body bring up another and prop up their being, then I happily do so.

Geesh, are you naturally an a-hole, or are you just trying real hard? Oh Lord, Jesus and the softball gods, if I get sanctioned for this, it will be totally worth it!

GG

Last edited:

Left Hook

Banned
Sep 13, 2013
Please Lord, Jesus Christ, forgive me of all my softball injustices upon this board and all the lives and have wrecked. I am not perfect and never claimed to be. Please accept these offerings at your alter as I beg your forgiveness for all that I have done. If all the slashes at my body bring up another and prop up their being, then I happily do so.

Geesh, are you naturally an a-hole, or are you just trying real hard? Oh Lord, Jesus and the softball gods, if I get sanctioned for this, it will be totally worth it!

GG
Lol.... thanks for not slinging insults... sanctioned? You still have your brain "whirling"from all these softball injustices? Talk about an exaggeration.... Who said you made the" injustices" that you keep taking about? You are the one that keeps saying that? You know the ones that you say have your mind whirling about all the injustices bcz some girls uncle has a team that you didn't get picked up for???? Ohhh the shame... maybe he should pick your kid up then cut her...riiiiight???? That would be the way to do it. Silly guy for picking his neices to play for him....silly guy for not splitting twin sisters up...CLUELESS

Jul 2, 2013
GatorGirl,

You are early in the process of travel softball, yet have been able to neatly summarize the conflicting nature of travel softball, and the multitude of commitments young athletes may have. I commend you for being so observant, it will serve you and DD well.

This is a mostly a travel softball board. The opinions here, for the most part, think travel softball should be #1 in all the players lives, always. They invent intricate "rules" to assure as such. But in the real world, it is much different, and does offer hope, and promise for an aspiring young softball player.

There are injustices all throughout travel softball, exactly like high school softball. No different.

Treat travel softball as a service to make your DD a better player. Follow the rules as best as you can for the team. Be polite, and try to keep your emotions in check. But also remember travel softball is just a service (who is paying, anyways?). As you are being a model parent ALWAYS develop outside relationships with other travel organizations. Make as many friends as you can. Then if the travel org. presents way too many rules, or inexplicably asks for a bunch more money they never said (happens a lot), have another team in your back pocket. There is a way to make travel softball work for your DD. Be discrete, says nice things, move when it is best for your DD, and don't burn bridges.

These posters want to turn you into something you are not. They all want to pin you down to "their" team.

As far as the subject at hand. Cutting players after fall softball. This hardly ever happens, and is much a moot point. For the areas who play spring high school softball, we all know in April or May, is when the travel teams really get formed for the summer. These fall decisions do not mean much, as every single travel team will adjust their rosters in spring, cut players then, and add studs who want in.

So you see. The travel organizations will want to pin you down with "rules". But when the opportunity comes along to get a real stud. They will be the first one to break each and every one of them to get the stud, and leave one of the other players out.

In the end, all that really matters is how "good" your player becomes. The great players can, and do, pick and choose. Have coaches approaching them, and wanting them. As a parent, your responsibility is to make your player as good as she can be. That determines everything, not the rules, but DD's play.

Last edited: