How many of you have cut a girl because of her parents after the Fall season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I hope no one says yes. The parents are the reasons those kids got there. If my kids ever got cut because I found out the coach didn't like me, I would make it my mission to make sure I got them cut! As if we didn't have enough to worry about!

AND I DON'T CARE who bashes me for this.

GG

Jul 6, 2013
I haven't personally had to do it yet.....but have seen it done. And GG, you're entitled to your opinion, however misguided and naive it is....lol. Sorry, just jabbing at you there. But bad parents can be a cancer on a team and can tear it smooth down. Spend a few years in the TB circuit and get educated on the subject before you try to form an opinion on it. If after 3-4 years you've never seen that parent, still have the same opinion, or otherwise have no idea why anyone would say this, there is a high degree of likelyhood that you are that parent.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
A negative parents will pass that negativity to their child so Im betting your not getting all you can from the player.

A negative parent will run other parents/players off as well. So pick your poison.

Its not a matter of liking you GG. Its a matter of choosing who you lose-either way your losing players in this situation.

If the parents not happy and you tried to talk it out Id be willing to bet their shopping and will leave anyways. Just dont let them take too many players with them. Its cancerous.

My parents and players sign a code of conduct and are expected to follow it.

Now Im coaching A/B level comp ball. C or rec would be different IMHO

Jun 1, 2013
I have cut them pre season and mid season because of parents. CJ D has it right.

The outcome and effects of "those" parents are the same no matter what class.( Gold-Rec)

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Depends

I hope no one says yes. The parents are the reasons those kids got there. If my kids ever got cut because I found out the coach didn't like me, I would make it my mission to make sure I got them cut! As if we didn't have enough to worry about!

AND I DON'T CARE who bashes me for this.

GG

I don't think the original post was indicating a cut should happen because the coach doesn't "like" a particular parent, but there are extreme circumstances where a cut may have to happen mid season because of parents. Like it or not, one disruptive parent can bring down an entire team. I have seen it happen and it nearly happened to my own team after the 2012 summer season. There have been parents I don't particular like but as long they don't do damage to the team, everything is fine. Cutting a player mid season because of poor performance I would never do, but cutting a parent (which also means unfortuneatly the player too) that is being disruptive to the team, yes I would do it. The situation would have to be pretty extreme but it is a possibility.

Jun 21, 2010
I've seen it happen twice to the same parent on the same team. Dad was always arguing with the coach about playing time. Finally threw out the F-bomb and was tossed from the team. His DD was so upset that she was calling everyone and anyone to get help to get back on the team. Coach gave them a second chance and then the dad started comparing his DD to another DD and basically said the other girl sucked and his DD was better for the position they both played. They got the boot for the last time.

Aug 20, 2013
Some are now saying that the problem will show through the kids attitude and performance and that IS different. You cut a kid because they aren't performing well, not because there parents are a pain.

I have seen nasty, horrible parents and no I would never cut a kid because of it. If that parent is acting this way in public, they are even worse in private. I would talk to that kid and if it is that bad, consider a call to children's services.

If you cut them, do you give them all their money back?

GG

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
....some weeks we are all together 40+ hours. 11 players and families should not be stopped from enjoying the extreme investment they put into this game because of 1 or 2 trouble makers, but it happens...a lot!

Nov 8, 2010
Some are now saying that the problem will show through the kids attitude and performance and that IS different. You cut a kid because they aren't performing well, not because there parents are a pain.

I have seen nasty, horrible parents and no I would never cut a kid because of it. If that parent is acting this way in public, they are even worse in private. I would talk to that kid and if it is that bad, consider a call to children's services.

If you cut them, do you give them all their money back?

GG

Just a difference in coaching philosophy GG. A kid that is not performing - that is mostly on me. Evidently, I did not do my job very well during the tryout process. That kid does not derserve to be cut. Her playing time may be reduced but she would remain on the team as long as she was working hard and not causing problems.

Yes - I bet it is even worse in private. The home life for some of these girls is not good and some of their stories are pretty sad but children's services??? I would have to have some pretty good evidence the kid is being abused before I went there. I think we are just talking about hot headed, uptight, non team oriented parents here for the most part.

"If you cut them, do you give them all their money back?" - Nope, and this is well documented and agreed to in our parent agreement!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516