How many innings does it take?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

inumpire

Observer, but has an opinion
Oct 31, 2014
I think there’s room for both. In the OP example, it’s a three-game friendly. In that case, I think it’s fine to play 75 minutes. The whole point is to get reps against different pitchers and hitters, to see different levels of competition.

The same is true of a typical tournament Saturday. The real purpose of pool games is to set matchups for Sunday, and a bunch of four-inning games is probably enough to determine who belongs in the A bracket vs the B bracket.

That said, teams should absolutely look to play scrimmages that go the full seven. That’s what players are ultimately preparing for in HS and college play.

I don’t see it as a money thing. If a tournament advertised a seven-inning format but only three game guarantee, teams would sign up. They’d even save money on ump fees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 75 minutes mean more teams can enter the tournament, so it is a money thing for TD. They are the ones that started it in our area. Been going on long enough now that is shows up in high school and the higher level tournament. After 4 innings the pitchers are running out of gas. If the team only has one quality pitcher and she runs out of gas, the last 3 innings are ugly. Turns in to a poorly played game with lots of walks.
Also, the tournaments in our area (Southern IN) that allow you to play a full seven inning game are becoming more and more popular. The college coaches like to see how a pitcher or catcher hold up after the 4th inning. 75 minute 4 innings games are for little kids playing Rec ball. Big girls play real softball, which is 90 minutes or more, and or 7 innings.

Jul 14, 2018
4. Does it make a difference for pitchers to throw to the same batters more than once in a game? 2x 3x

This, to me, is the biggest drawback to playing shorter games. Again, playing HS and college is “where it counts,” and pitchers need to be able to get batters out multiple times.

Ironically, when DD played rec from 10U through 12U, we usually played six-inning games. There was no time limit, just a mercy rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Then play in the longer timed game tournaments. If you can get longer games for the same money, play there. Problem solved.

In Florida there is a wide range of events with different timing - USSSA/NSA/FPO is pretty much all most 1:15 end the inning. PGF is generally 1:30 or 1:45 end the inning (and is generally $150-300 more to enter)

I honestly don't think timed games hurt the game at all. Honestly, it has probably helped the game.
And if you want to play timed games, eventually you will get to school ball with non-timed games and there you go.

The thing I like about the 1:45 in PGF ( and I think USA Select) is that it is harder for teams to win with one pitcher. And I've seen some of the National teams (12U and 14U A) split each game between two pitchers as you won't get twice through the lineup for either pitcher.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Stop calling them gamettes. They are still games.

HAHA they are not the same.
They ARE GAMETTES!
Yep thats it...
anything under 90 minutes
=(1:30 game times)
in my book are now GAMETTES !

Seperate point to the drop dead~
Would argue when both teams dont get equal chances to score it is NOT actually a true/fair competition.
= not a game at all.
(especially with other rules still in play, heck why have rules)

Hmmm when teams dont actually get to have equal at bats, will start calling these
Gamish'es
GAME 'ish.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
HAHA they are not the same.
They ARE GAMETTES!
Yep thats it...
anything under 90 minutes
=(1:30 game times)
in my book are now GAMETTES !

It greatly diminishes and disrespects the teams and players. Basically, you are saying that they are not playing 'real softball' based on them not playing an arbitrary number of innings. As far as I can tell, no one knows why '7 innings' is a softball game either.

It feels like the same as baseball traditionalists why cry every time they make a minor rule change.

Seperate point to the drop dead~

As I said, drop dead in any game that has meaning to an end result is unacceptable. I wouldn't play.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
It greatly diminishes and disrespects the teams and players. Basically, you are saying that they are not playing 'real softball' based on them not playing an arbitrary number of innings. As far as I can tell, no one knows why '7 innings' is a softball game either.

It feels like the same as baseball traditionalists why cry every time they make a minor rule change.

As I said, drop dead in any game that has meaning to an end result is unacceptable. I wouldn't play.
Descriptive verbage is not disrespectful.
If anything it achowledges it and its difference to other lengths.

While others may chop what were games down to 75 minutes....i am not the one doing that.
Rather just bringing it up for discussion and in doing so utilized 'descriptions' to differenciate what the discussion is about.

Marriad it seems you mostly have taken an aproach as a facilitating director of tournaments. The host. To this topic. Maybe in that you felt the need to defend 'timed competitions'
Thats fine....thats a perspective.

My perspective is about at some point
'asking at what point' is dimished game time actually taking away from what the sport is. Because it does change mindset and approach/mentality on the field. Over whats happening through the course of 'allotted' time.
At 75 minutes what was even at 100 minutes or 90 minutes has changed things again.
You may call it evolving ..
I call it changing because

i dont think 75 minutes is good for the sport.

*Just play two 1:50 games.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Descriptive verbage is not disrespectful.
If anything it achowledges it and its difference to other lengths.

Then call them 'timed games'. There is no reason to come up with a name that suggests that it isn't real softball.

Marriad it seems you mostly have taken an aproach as a facilitating director of tournaments. The host. To this topic. Maybe in that you felt the need to defend 'timed competitions'
Thats fine....thats a perspective.

As someone involved in all aspects of the game - and someone who has been part of trying lots and lots of formats/tournaments/rules/etc, etc,over the years, my perspective is not 'facilitating directors' - it is one of experience that understands what currently seems to works best for the majority of the community. We have tried pretty much everything at some point.

I work with several of the sanctions here and a couple of the major Florida orgs and we are constantly trying new things for game play. We constantly take feedback from the coaches and community. I feel we have a pretty good feel for what we do - and feedback from what we run is very positive.

My perspective is about at some point
'asking at what point' is dimished game time actually taking away from what the sport is. Because it does change mindset and approach/mentality on the field. Over whats happening through the course of 'allotted' time.

That is my point. How do you define what the sport is? You say 7 innings - well that is pretty much only HS and college.
There are a whole lot more timed games being played than HS and college. Perhaps that is the sport now? Or both? It can be both. I certainly believe there is room for both and have zero issues with the vast array of options out there for finding what is best for a team - and I have zero issues with HS being the first 7 inning experience for the majority of players. I can't imagine asking the vast majority of 10U or 12U teams to play 7 inning games.

And still - why 7 innings? Why is 7 innings SO important? Tradition? I have no idea why 7 innings was chosen at some point in time - does ANYONE really know why it was chosen? Was it just a random number someone chose one day?

i dont think 75 minutes is good for the sport.
*Just play two 1:50 games.

So timed games are still ok? What is 1:50 only gets you 3-4 innings still? I have umpired those games in HS and college. It is NOT fun for anyone.

Jun 8, 2016
And still - why 7 innings? Why is 7 innings SO important? Tradition? I have no idea why 7 innings was chosen at some point in time - does ANYONE really know why it was chosen? Was it just a random number someone chose one day?
Considering baseball (and its 9 inning game) came first, I am sure most females would probably be insulted (and rightfully so) by the most obvious reason...

Growing up we played 6 innings in LL, 7 innings in Pony league and 7 or 9 innings in HS/Legion depending on the situation. In college doubleheaders were 7 innings. As long as both teams have an equal opportunity to score it is a "game"

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Then call them 'timed games'. There is no reason to come up with a name that suggests that it isn't real softball.

As someone involved in all aspects of the game - and someone who has been part of trying lots and lots of formats/tournaments/rules/etc, etc,over the years, my perspective is not 'facilitating directors' - it is one of experience that understands what currently seems to works best for the majority of the community. We have tried pretty much everything at some point.

I work with several of the sanctions here and a couple of the major Florida orgs and we are constantly trying new things for game play. We constantly take feedback from the coaches and community. I feel we have a pretty good feel for what we do - and feedback from what we run is very positive.

That is my point. How do you define what the sport is? You say 7 innings - well that is pretty much only HS and college.
There are a whole lot more timed games being played than HS and college. Perhaps that is the sport now? Or both? It can be both. I certainly believe there is room for both and have zero issues with the vast array of options out there for finding what is best for a team - and I have zero issues with HS being the first 7 inning experience for the majority of players. I can't imagine asking the vast majority of 10U or 12U teams to play 7 inning games.

So timed games are still ok? What is 1:50 only gets you 3-4 innings still? I have umpired those games in HS and college. It is NOT fun for anyone.
I actually find your ultimate seriousness toward saying gamette funny!

If anything its a descriptive nickname...to something that is NOT ACTUALLY THE SAME as its very near other options.
Yes time wise!

radness

Dec 13, 2019

And still you chatter about time.
While im speaking to how the game itself may differ.

Thanku to the other posters who shared the difference they notice!

Cheers

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole