How many innings does it take?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
*i commented about the money thing to try an EXCLUDE that from being a topic toward the discussion.
obviously shorter game times can = more gamettes = more $$$.
And yes its done for $$$$.

Its interesting to go from years ,actually two decades of playing only full games...
To now that gamettes seem normal TO the system that is travel ball.

Thinking about the length of games, how strategy can develop with in a game.
How pitchers are sometimes stronger at the beginning of the game or at the end of the game. Or pitchers that have to pitch through the whole game and utilize endurance. And batters get to bat more than once....atleast three times at least per game. Think these are part of the game and element in the game that's lacking when we're playing gamettes.

Drop dead...
blatantly not an even contest....

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Drop dead revert to the score of the last completed inning is the worst.

One happy note with regards to this that the softball gods are watching:

DD’s team took a 5-2 lead in the fourth inning of a pool game last summer. They were the home team, ump announced that there were five minutes left. Coach could have told players to step off, take outs to end the inning. She doesn’t believe in that sort of thing; time ran out, score reverted back to the end of the third, and we lost 2-1.

Next day, they faced the same team in the tournament final. Played the full seven innings and won 8-5. Sweet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
And yes, of course you coach differently to the different format.
Well and good timed for tournament format.

I am speaking to the game itself.
And what may or may not be the same in a gamette vs a full game.

As you had mentioned at the end...

i brought up we played full games all the time BECAUSE THATS WHAT WE USED TO DO AND ITS CHANGED.

For what if any good reason?
Is it better?

Heck 1:30 could have been a minimum...but nope 1:15.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
*i commented about the money thing to try an EXCLUDE that from being a topic toward the discussion.
obviously shorter game times can = more gamettes = more $$$.

That is not how it works. Short game times means you charge LESS per team. Longer games times means I charge MORE per team. In terms of revenue for a tournament, in the end, it is roughly the same.

Its interesting to go from years ,actually two decades of playing only full games...
To now that gamettes seem normal TO the system that is travel ball.

Yep, the game has evolved/changed over the years.

Thinking about the length of games, how strategy can develop with in a game.
How pitchers are sometimes stronger at the beginning of the game or at the end of the game. Or pitchers that have to pitch through the whole game and utilize endurance. And batters get to bat more than once....atleast three times at least per game. Think these are part of the game and element in the game that's lacking when we're playing gamettes.

Sure.. although I would argue that you get more game time in total with shorter tournament games so your pitchers still have to pitch a lot, and your batters still get their swings and.. so on.

Shorter and more games also means more opportunity for end game situations and executions, and every inning and every play (especially in bracket play) counts for more because the game is shorter and so on.

My DD was always in the 12-20 innings/weekend pitched... does it make all that much difference if that was across 4-6 games versus 2-3?

Again, it is not saying that it is better or worse - just that it is different

Drop dead... blatantly not an even contest....

Don't disagree with you there. Showcase yes... any actual game... that is dumb.[/quote][/quote]

radness

Dec 13, 2019
That is not how it works. Short game times means you charge LESS per team. Longer games times means I charge MORE per team. In terms of revenue for a tournament, in the end, it is roughly the same.

Yep, the game has evolved/changed over the years.

Sure.. although I would argue that you get more game time in total with shorter tournament games so your pitchers still have to pitch a lot, and your batters still get their swings and.. so on.

Shorter and more games also means more opportunity for end game situations and executions, and every inning and every play (especially in bracket play) counts for more because the game is shorter and so on.

My DD was always in the 12-20 innings/weekend pitched... does it make all that much difference if that was across 4-6 games versus 2-3?

Again, it is not saying that it is better or worse - just that it is different

Don't disagree with you there. Showcase yes... any actual game... that is dumb.
[/quote]
[/QUOTE]
Not to argue @marriad but the price for games here is the same for less time in games.
And obviously they do drop dead here. As i posted.
But AGAIN i am speaking toward what or how does it change the actual game on the field.
( not the dictionary deffinition of timed event)

So you point out again
Yes the game has evolved....no kidding
I commented to that!

How in what way has gamettes improved the sport or has it not!

Or has it not?

Last edited:

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
i brought up we played full games all the time BECAUSE THATS WHAT WE USED TO DO AND ITS CHANGED.
For what if any good reason?
Is it better?

For most, I would say better. For the game the way it is today, it is what the majority need.

Anything 12U and below 7 innings is torture for most games.

Also, with rec being down, B/C travel has taken a lot of the entry level players. 7 inning games for newbies... I think not. Need to keep kids in the sport.

And there is just SO many more girls in the sport in travel now.

Our 7 inning tournaments have always been for 14U-A(high A) and HS-A divisions and were basically invite only events. Basically, HS age players and teams who all have game. Those have worked well. Every time we did different age groups/talent level/sign up efforts it was a one-and-done thing or we never got the interest.

Heck 1:30 could have been a minimum...but nope 1:15.

1:15 drop dead is effectively 1:20-1:30. It also allows 1:30 scheduling windows (you need 1:45 windows for 1:30).

We have done 1:30 games (finish the inning) - with 1:45 time windows. it is kind of awkward - over a day it takes away 2 games per field. so it makes difference in # of teams and also # of seeding games.

Stop calling them gamettes. They are still games.

marriard

Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Not to argue @marriad but the price for games here is the same for less time in games.

Then play in the longer timed game tournaments. If you can get longer games for the same money, play there. Problem solved.

In Florida there is a wide range of events with different timing - USSSA/NSA/FPO is pretty much all most 1:15 end the inning. PGF is generally 1:30 or 1:45 end the inning (and is generally $150-300 more to enter)

I honestly don't think timed games hurt the game at all. Honestly, it has probably helped the game.
And if you want to play timed games, eventually you will get to school ball with non-timed games and there you go.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
@marriad was looking for a response to your comment

Screenshot_2021-02-14-12-33-39-1.png
In specific
What are ( if any) the differences happening with the players on the field in those different time formats.
These type of things
1. Is there a different player mindset?
Full game or gamette?
2. Do players settle down the same shuffling to squeeze in game time?
3. Do they rise or fall to the game the same?
4. Does it make a difference for pitchers to throw to the same batters more than once in a game? 2x 3x
5. And batters to see the same pitcher several times?
6. Game endurance different?
7. Is a player only playing two innings really playing half a game?
8. What if any strategy would be different?
9. If you new you were playing a full game...would you play TO win per say, knowing you would get equal at bats?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
I think the biggest effect of going to untimed games for TB would be on the coaches with the second most being on the pitchers. I want to say the Alliance is going to do that to some extent in the championship tournaments.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Does the blue charge less for a timed game vs non timed game? Seems like at 16u a level we are paying $40-50 PAP fees. Timed games means more games per day so more pay per day for officiating.

TFL has had 90 min games but no new after 80,, so basically 80 min games. I’d like to see 100 min games with no new after 90. That would be a good compromise on knowing game times for TD and having quality game length as well.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole