How many games in an average rec season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
We do 21, they play 2 nights a week from May-July, missing a few for holidays and school graduation. This is assuming an even number of teams and no byes. No need for playoffs but we reserve 2 nights just incase rankings are tied at the end of the season. No rec games on weekends so the kids that play travel ball can play their tournaments, with the exception of t-ball (7u) games.

-W

I think most try and do more but we also only do 12 (Mar practices April-May games), we did have a season warm up tournament so for most of our girls they played 15 games (almost every Saturday then usually Tues or Thurs). Then we select All Stars, they will get 3 games from warm up tourney, 5 from sectionals, hopefully 5 from regionals, then nats as well as practicing 4 or 5 days a week.

Our All Stars get more practice and games in 7 weeks (June-July) than all the rec girls get in 12 weeks. It is almost a complete different season and mentality from rec ball at least around here.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
Spring Rec: 12-16, give or take.

All-Stars: 10-24 (+4 if going to Nationals)

Fall TB: 20-30

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
In our league in Northern Virginia we have an 8 week season, two games a week = 16 regular season games. Then a week of single elimination playoffs.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We play 20 with a double elimination at the end.

Double is nice because like this year we are going to get destroyed our 1st game, which is not a great way to end the season. We should be competitive the 2nd game.

Mar 1, 2012
Approx 60 games for my DD
Rec - 26 Monday and Wednesday nights plus two round robin tournaments (mid May - July 25)
TB - 25 give or take a couple (June - July)
Fall Ball - 8 plus single elimination (Aug - Sept)

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
My youngest has 16 games with single elim playoff.

Anyone else deal with this? She is plaing in 12u, the leauge we are in over 10u there is zero time limit for the game, so we arrive at 5:30 (6:30 game time) and often play until 9:30 (darkness) when the umps call it. Or seven innings which ever comes first and let me tell you, dark comes first. I emailed the league director and he basically told me, sorry no time limit games go until the ump feels it unsafe to play the game.

Doh! They feel like marathons. LOL

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Anyone else deal with this? She is plaing in 12u, the leauge we are in over 10u there is zero time limit for the game, so we arrive at 5:30 (6:30 game time) and often play until 9:30 (darkness) when the umps call it. Or seven innings which ever comes first and let me tell you, dark comes first. I emailed the league director and he basically told me, sorry no time limit games go until the ump feels it unsafe to play the game.

Doh! They feel like marathons. LOL

This is how you drive parents away from rec league. At 12U, there is no reason to play 3 hour games. We play 1:45 finish the inning at 12U, 1:30 finish the inning for 10U and below. You start losing the players beyond that period of time in rec. As the players improve you will see more innings being played week by week. Per inning run limits also help move the game along, though I have rethought my position on that and have come to believe it is actually bad for long term pitcher development (no incentive to improve if they know they can only give up 5 and then they're out of the inning).

We play 14 to 16 games depending on the number of teams we field and a single elimination playoff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06