How many games in an average rec season?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Doh! They feel like marathons. LOL

That is brutal and does not make sense.

We have a similar time limit as PA and some games still seem to take forever. We have only played 6 innings a couple times this year, not sure if we have ever made it to 7.

The time limit suits everyone just fine, I also do not care if we play all 20 games DD signed up for. I still do not know why we had a DH in the heat on Saturday, 2nd game was not a lot of fun.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
We play 12-15 regular season games, with no new innings after 1:50
That's two games per week on weeknights, no games on weekends

Then we do round-robin playoffs and a "championship" ( usually 2-3 games) and one in-house All Star game for each age group

May 25, 2010
This is how you drive parents away from rec league. At 12U, there is no reason to play 3 hour games. We play 1:45 finish the inning at 12U, 1:30 finish the inning for 10U and below. You start losing the players beyond that period of time in rec. As the players improve you will see more innings being played week by week. Per inning run limits also help move the game along, though I have rethought my position on that and have come to believe it is actually bad for long term pitcher development (no incentive to improve if they know they can only give up 5 and then they're out of the inning).
Does not compute, unless a league is loaded with pitching.

You'd rather have beginning 10u pitchers walk in 30 runs in one long inning up to the time limit?

The per-inning run limits aren't a perfect solution, because a walk-a-thon is going to be a walk-a-thon whether it's 1 inning or broken into 4.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Does not compute, unless a league is loaded with pitching.

You'd rather have beginning 10u pitchers walk in 30 runs in one long inning up to the time limit?

The per-inning run limits aren't a perfect solution, because a walk-a-thon is going to be a walk-a-thon whether it's 1 inning or broken into 4.

At 10U we have walk limits per inning (3) and then coaches come in to pitch on subsequent 3 ball counts. I agree, walk-a-thons are no fun to be a part of. I am referring primarily to 12U and above. I have tried to help the league by providing free pitching clinics as well as providing the contact information for local pitching coaches so that the girls can learn the proper way to pitch. But we have many more girls who "want" to pitch but do not actually work at it. I can't tell you how many games I have watched this year in which pitchers come off the field quite happy after giving up 5 runs (and getting no outs) knowing they "only" gave up 5 runs! The idea was originally to get more girls interested in pitching, and while that has happened, it has not resulted in improving pitching in the league. I have toyed with the idea of getting rid of the run limit for 12U and above so that we will eventually thin the herd to kids to those that really want to pitch and work at it, but I think I will get a lot of resistance from the parents and coaches.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
In addition to a 6 run inning limit we also have per game inning limits on Ps. For 8U it is 2, 10U it is 3, 12U it is 4 so every team needs a couple pitchers. Having 1 pitcher will only get a Team so far. From what I have seen in the past is that the Teams with 2 or 3 pitchers win our League. No limit in 14U and up so a Team can be carried by 1 pitcher once they reach that level.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
Looking for a better option for next year. The time really is just too much! I agree that games that long loose attention.

I like the idea of having leagues that support faster games and helping pitcher learn their craft. I know it is the girls choice to pitch and get better but some education on how to do it well really helps everyone to increase their skill in the game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Do not know much about rec ball schedules, but I will add that our 14U TB team will play @ 70-75 games this Spring/Summer for comparisons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06