How long until the face mask rule is in effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Not sure that Ben meant that you are free to run across the freeway any time you choose to.

Hope your DD is doing well.
If your fast enough to make it why not;) and dd is doing real well, goes for her MRI at Pittsburgh Childrens Hospital on Dec. 10th her skull should be fully healed. Eye sight is perfect and she can't wait to be released back to gym class and to play softball. Thank you for asking, it has been along year for her.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I know Emily is ready to hit the dirt!!

As for Ben:

Why people who are willing to sacrifice liberty for the notion of safety are undeserving of neither is because they are so willing to sacrifice liberty and look to someone else to provide them with safety.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Won't last long. The same people we're hoping have common sense are many of the same ones who came up with the brilliant idea to allow metal cleats on the field for 14u players.

But they better not wear earrings that pose a threat to no one else. ;)

Oct 25, 2009
They are certainly at liberty to not wear one. But nature has its own laws and some of those laws might be in direct conflict with liberty.

That's all I'm saying. I sincerely hope that none of you will have to witness a serious facial injury that could affect the rest of a kid's future health.

Apr 25, 2010
I do not see any of the ABC's ever mandating facemasks. Once you do that, it becomes a liability issue. If they mandate you wear one, and you get hit, and somehow end up injured from the mask, guess who's pockets are getting picked in that lawsuit?

Oct 25, 2009
I do not see any of the ABC's ever mandating facemasks. Once you do that, it becomes a liability issue. If they mandate you wear one, and you get hit, and somehow end up injured from the mask, guess who's pockets are getting picked in that lawsuit?

Same ones who mandated the helmet cages?

Apr 25, 2010
Same ones who mandated the helmet cages?

You know as well as I do, the helmet cages are firmly attached to the helmet. The facemasks have the potential of moving around the face, off the face, etc. There is a much greater risk.

For my DD, she doesn't pitch or play infield without one. But that is because I chose to make it required for her. If someone else chooses to allow their child to play without one, that is their decision.

Oct 25, 2009
You know as well as I do, the helmet cages are firmly attached to the helmet. The facemasks have the potential of moving around the face, off the face, etc. There is a much greater risk.

For my DD, she doesn't pitch or play infield without one. But that is because I chose to make it required for her. If someone else chooses to allow their child to play without one, that is their decision.

There's an unknown or disregarded fact that without a chin strap properly used with the helmet cage that the cage can be forced into a player's face on impact with a ball. Even so, it still provides protection from a ball direct to the face.

I'm glad for your DD that you have sense enough to protect her. Hopefully, what you do will influence someone else to protect other kids.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
They are certainly at liberty to not wear one. But nature has its own laws and some of those laws might be in direct conflict with liberty.

What conflict? Either you wear one or not, your choose what to wear...and accept the consequences of that choice. If a parent, you must take responsibility for YOUR failure to protect your child.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There's an unknown or disregarded fact that without a chin strap properly used with the helmet cage that the cage can be forced into a player's face on impact with a ball. Even so, it still provides protection from a ball direct to the face.

Citations please. With the helmet worn properly, I highly doubt your assertion that the impact of the ball would "force" the cage into the player's face.

For that matter, you WANT a helmet to move when hit by the ball and have equal doubts that a more catastrophic injury would occur without a chin strap. The idea behind requiring the chin strap was to prompt the player to wear the helmet properly and to keep them on the player's head. Since 2005, how many times have you seen a helmet fall off a batter or runner in an ASA game compared to prior to the requirement.

I'm glad for your DD that you have sense enough to protect her. Hopefully, what you do will influence someone else to protect other kids.[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG