How Important is High School Softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 1, 2010
IMO, I wouldn't listen to me when it comes to HS ball :cool: I can't hardly watch the train wreck my dd plays on. My dd isn't a big strike out pitcher, more of a ground ball inducer. One game they had 7 errors in the first inning from booting the ball off the glove, to some where over the rainbow throws to first, to chucking the softball to the outfield throwing to second. The coach wants to hug the girls all the time not stand up for his players. To down right kissing the buts of the coaches they're playing. If I get any further away from the field to watch, I'm going to be in another zip code.

This cracked me up. I have mixed emotions about HS ball, but you hit the nail on the head. It is a train wreck!!!

One of the assistant coaches stopped by my classroom and asked what I thought of a recent game. I noted that we had a lot of rainbow throws and booted and dropped fly balls for errors. His response: "we don't call those errors, those are infield hits. If we called them errors the girls would cry".

But, for DD it has been profitable. She has learned to control what she can control. Although it still p!$$es her off, she has learned to shrug off the dropped balls, "hits" through the legs, and the dropped fly balls. So, for my DD it has made her a better pitcher and a better person.

DW is hoping this last year of HS ball will make me a better person, but she's not holding her breath.

Jun 16, 2015
I have found a way that HS can matter- if it shows something good-or bad. If there is something in a players bio that says she was all-state or selected all-conference/allstar multiple times etc. but the biggest thing is if the high school coach can provide a great reference.

Our HS coach is a dope but when it comes to speaking up for his players to scouts/coaches, he is the bomb! A few years ago, he had a coach call him to thank him for his asessment of a recruit in which he described the intangibles that she brings which are not readily noticeable. The college coach was unaware but came to see this kid was a gem and brought a lot more to the team than just hitting and fielding

So play or don't play, but whatever you do, give 110%

I love this.

Mar 9, 2017
Mississippi
Well as a HS coach, let me give my opinion... Our girls absolutely love playing for our program. We just finished winning back to back state championships in 2016-17, the girls are treated phenomenal. they got out of school to hang out in a hotel for several days, practice at other high schools, and forge a bond with each other last week during state championship series. They will have ring ceremonies at half time of a football game this fall and have made memories and friendships that will last a life time. Is HS ball worth it at our school? You better believe it!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have found a way that HS can matter- if it shows something good-or bad. If there is something in a players bio that says she was all-state or selected all-conference/allstar multiple times etc. but the biggest thing is if the high school coach can provide a great reference.

Our HS coach is a dope but when it comes to speaking up for his players to scouts/coaches, he is the bomb! A few years ago, he had a coach call him to thank him for his asessment of a recruit in which he described the intangibles that she brings which are not readily noticeable. The college coach was unaware but came to see this kid was a gem and brought a lot more to the team than just hitting and fielding

So play or don't play, but whatever you do, give 110%

This coach doesn't sound like a dope. He might not be the best at teaching certain skills. Or maybe there are other issues that make him seem like a dope, but it looks to me like he's doing more for his players than a lot of "better" coaches out there.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
IMO, I wouldn't listen to me when it comes to HS ball :cool: I can't hardly watch the train wreck my dd plays on. My dd isn't a big strike out pitcher, more of a ground ball inducer. One game they had 7 errors in the first inning from booting the ball off the glove, to some where over the rainbow throws to first, to chucking the softball to the outfield throwing to second. The coach wants to hug the girls all the time not stand up for his players. To down right kissing the buts of the coaches they're playing. If I get any further away from the field to watch, I'm going to be in another zip code.

Save me a seat in your zip code, I think our kids are on the same team.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
By "dope" I mean his knowledge of softball and of coaching young women is extremely low for the number of years he has been coaching. not many of the kids who have played for him go on to play ball in college, but he will bend over backwards to help any that want to.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles