How Important Is a Pitching Instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
You want to go to an instructor to learn new things or solve problems.

If your DD is already an experienced pitcher maybe all she needs is some practice to knock off the rust. Then you might notice some problems that an instructor could help you with.

Seeing an instructor doesn't have to be a weekly thing - if your DD is willing to practice on her own you may only need to see the instructor occasionally.

I think a 16U pitcher will need a movement pitch in addition to an accurate fastball and change up in order to be successful.

Jul 24, 2008
What is the best way to post video? I do not have a video recorder, but could take some on my phone and post it if that would be good enough video?

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Safety first

WWish I had a buck for every nrw student that I had to stop on their 3rd or 4th warm up throw and fix something dangerous they had been taughjt..

Always taught to thrm b a well meaning coach or parent that bogut a DVD, tape or book which immediately qualified them to be an instructor.

It is the trained and exprtirmced eyes of the instructor that are the key element.

Aug 19, 2011
Hey, Screwball, I like you.

Plato said that our vision is a light that emanates from our eyes, and illuminates that which we see. Our awareness often represents a choice. I don't know what has gone on back channel, but I think there is plenty here on the forum that is not arrogant and macho, and you and Amy are a big part of that. If you look for the curious, the interested, the parents concerned about their daughters' health and future, there's plenty of that too. Nobody can "win" the internet.

May 31, 2012
South Texas
Screwball do not be discouraged. This is an online forum and take it for what it is. I find a lot of comments here informative but I do not take them for its full face value. Its just like Ralph when he was trying to learn karate from a book. There is nothing like the real thing. There are lots of people that give credit to this forum but nothing will ever beat a live hands on experience. Don't sweat it...

Jul 17, 2012
Screwball, just for the record, I appreciate the feedback you've offered up, in my posts and in others. I think some of the first person experience on this board gets lost in the shufle of the biomechanics of the human body, that quite frankly, isn't what I come here for. In fact... the ONE person that EVERYONE on this site seems to worship, from a pitching perspective, Bill Hillhouse, doesn't do that crap. He speaks in terms that a caveman can understand (sorry geico guy). And you know what.. I learneed the MOST from him!!! Simplify!! Don't complicate to let everyone know how smart you are. I'm a financial analyst. I can give you 100 complex formulas to help you predict the fiduciary position of a public company... or I can share a couple of simple points of interest that will give you a basic idea of the financial health of that same company. I know some of the posters here offer up some extremely technical breakdowns that quite honestly mean NOTHING to me. I'm not a physiologist!! Am I REALLY going to go to my 10 YO DD and tell her she needs to internally rotate her humerous while she externally supponates her upper arm in the shoulder socket. Are you kidding me? Maybe some here like that stuff and I'm not knocking them in any way, shape, or form. But others here prefer your laymans terminology. Some of us on the board will miss your presence if you decide to call it a day.

Aug 21, 2008
Screwball, just for the record, I appreciate the feedback you've offered up, in my posts and in others. I think some of the first person experience on this board gets lost in the shufle of the biomechanics of the human body, that quite frankly, isn't what I come here for. In fact... the ONE person that EVERYONE on this site seems to worship, from a pitching perspective, Bill Hillhouse, doesn't do that crap. He speaks in terms that a caveman can understand (sorry geico guy). And you know what.. I learneed the MOST from him!!! Simplify!! Don't complicate to let everyone know how smart you are. I'm a financial analyst. I can give you 100 complex formulas to help you predict the fiduciary position of a public company... or I can share a couple of simple points of interest that will give you a basic idea of the financial health of that same company. I know some of the posters here offer up some extremely technical breakdowns that quite honestly mean NOTHING to me. I'm not a physiologist!! Am I REALLY going to go to my 10 YO DD and tell her she needs to internally rotate her humerous while she externally supponates her upper arm in the shoulder socket. Are you kidding me? Maybe some here like that stuff and I'm not knocking them in any way, shape, or form. But others here prefer your laymans terminology. Some of us on the board will miss your presence if you decide to call it a day.

I was told today that someone said something like this and I didn't believe it. Sorry "C" for doubting you.

Frozen.. thank you for this compliment. But with that said, Worshiped? Really? well, I'd like all you disciples to send $100 to the House of Pitching... LOL. I'm only kidding. $50 will be fine. :)

To quote Forrest Gump: "I'm not a very smart man". And I'm not. I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon that goes on either. I'm sure there's a ton of validity to it. But I simply cannot follow it. With that said, some of the more technical stuff is necessary because of the sheer crap that is taught to the masses. "Jennie Finch says to do hello elbow" so they all do it like clones, even not many realize she doesn't actually pitch that way. It's really rather sad. And this is what the MAJORITY out there teach. Whether you call it "IR" or common sense, the truth is, pitching is very much like the Biblical verse that says "Broad is the way to destruction and narrow is the way to kingdom" (yes, I'm paraphrasing). Few will actually "get it".

Bill

Jan 27, 2010
My post got deleted but that is OK, I am out of here. Boys gotta stick together.

I go much better things to do. Here softball is like republicans and democrats, and factions in between those. But talk doesn't matter, actions do, so just keep on talking without me. I am a real softball player. I got better things to do.
See ya.

Screwball, I hope you will reconsider leaving the forum. Sorry, I missed the deleted post because I would like to have read it to see what prompted you to make the decision to call it quits. Not saying that I blame you for making that decision because there are some that can get really personal and forget that the forum is to discuss fastpitch and help others that are seeking advice.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
I was told today that someone said something like this and I didn't believe it. Sorry "C" for doubting you.

Frozen.. thank you for this compliment. But with that said, Worshiped? Really? well, I'd like all you disciples to send $100 to the House of Pitching... LOL. I'm only kidding. $50 will be fine. :)

To quote Forrest Gump: "I'm not a very smart man". And I'm not. I don't understand a lot of the technical jargon that goes on either. I'm sure there's a ton of validity to it. But I simply cannot follow it. With that said, some of the more technical stuff is necessary because of the sheer crap that is taught to the masses. "Jennie Finch says to do hello elbow" so they all do it like clones, even not many realize she doesn't actually pitch that way. It's really rather sad. And this is what the MAJORITY out there teach. Whether you call it "IR" or common sense, the truth is, pitching is very much like the Biblical verse that says "Broad is the way to destruction and narrow is the way to kingdom" (yes, I'm paraphrasing). Few will actually "get it".

Bill
So "Worship" may have been pushing it. But in all honesty, I bought the vidoe and love it. Not quite as flattering as a $100 donation, but hey, it's something!! The first few attempts I made to begin to teach my DD how to pitch were extremely unsuccessful. Too much techie stuff. 300 page books, 2 hour long videos... too much. When I first watched your video, I have to be honest, I thought, what the heck... I got conned. There's no way it's this simple!! Simple in theory, not in practice anyway. But when we watched it again, together, SHE got it. She asked me "Why did you make this sound so hard... this is easy! All I have to do is practice."

I also live in Pennsylvania, but unfortunately, it's a big state and I'm on the opposite side, otherwise I would MOST definately come to see you!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12