How I convinced my daughter to wear a fielders mask while pitching....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Facemasks are unknown here. I've only ever seen third bases wear them (and that's a grand total of two girls) You would be laughed off the field if you wore one.

And I have seen people take line drives to the face (just last season I caught one of our juniors before she hit the floor after taking one. I wasn't pitching because of a sore arm, I still regret that) I know the damage that they cause. I just don't see them catching on.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am certain that they will become required. I played prior to batting helmets and we hated having to wear them. Little League still doesn't require face masks on their helmets, which I will never understand.

Mar 13, 2010
I am certain that they will become required. I played prior to batting helmets and we hated having to wear them.

I don't know about that. I'm old enough to remember no helmets either (they became required when I was about eight. Most of my T-ball photos have me playing without a helmet)

Facemasks are different though. Softball isn't a sport where the majority of the players are that close to the ball at all times. (I'm thinking field hockey, soccer and so on) Very few sports make face masks compuslry, because of the visibility factor and the comfort factor. Wearing a helmet is a different kettle of fish to wearing something covering your face.

You've also got to remember people who wear glasses. It would be terrible for them to have to wear face masks over them. I've worn contacts when playing for about ten years now but when I was in high school I had to catch (we had a state pitcher and as the only other 'real' softballer, I was forced into catching) The first week I had my glasses on. It was the most uncomfortable experience I've ever had on a softball diamond. The following week I wore my contacts to school. (that's what actully made me switch to playing with contacts. I never realized how much of an issue seeing the ball was until I first wore my contacts!)

I could be wrong on this, but I'd be very, very shocked if it ever became compulsory. Just of intrest, when did helmets become compulsory in America? (it was early 90s in Australia)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wear my sunglasses under my game face without a problem. Other masks may not be the same.

Helmets became a requirement about 1992.

I played ASA from 1964-1979 and we didn't have helmets.

Hello All. I'm telling you, check out Bangerz.com and look into the HS-6500. Our daughter is 14 and playing at 18A level now. She wears this face guard and loves it. She is a pitcher, and plays third base as well. She is not scared whatsoever, nor has she ever been hit. But I work in oral maxillofacial surgery trauma, and see the horrible stuff a baseball,softball and lacrosse sticks can do. Not just in surgery, but sitting on the sidelines as well. I've checked them all out, tested many of them myself for my DD. This mask is less bulky than all the others, and protects the areas that always get hit and get the most damage. Meaning what gets the most reconstructive surgeries for about a billion dollars. It is an opinion of course, but it does its job. Last year while DD was in the circle, our third baseman DID get hit right in mask. NO reaction time whatsoever. The same mask as our DD. She hit the ground and laid flat on her back. Coaches, players and parents pounced to her side, as did I, and her eyes were as big as bagels. She was just stunned and scared. No crying, no pain and no injuries. She was breathing hard and finally said OH.......MY........God........ I don't believe that..... She got up and shook off the cob webs and sat out the rest of that inning so I could check her out. She was just fine, but Mom and Dad were in tears. They had just got that mask a few days prior and was counting their blessings. It could have been any mask, but it wasn't broken, bent or cracked after the impact like most of the others do after impact. ANY mask will save those facial traumas, but this one makes them feel tough vs like a baby or a fool. College world series players and alot of D1 players are wearing this one too. My daughter does and wears what I tell her to wear because I am the parent, or she doesn't play, but SHE wants to wear this one vs any of the others, and wouldn't care if a whole tournament was laughing at her. Sounds mean in this PC world, but I am NOT going to take a chance on doing facial reconstuction on my own daughter. I don't care if masks are made mandatory, but I wish they wouldn't make it MANDATORY. My DD has great bats. Aluminum, Composites and alloys. She even has a wooden bat that she practices with just waiting for the day the others are banned. I just can't find any that say ASA, USSSA, USF etc approved and have emailed several State directors asking can she use one, and what specs are allowed. I can't get any answers. Go wooden bats. Let them play ball. Think about Bangerz 6500.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Change - can't agree w/ you more regarding facial protection; however, a little surprised though that you don't worry about the teeth. Is that becacuse it's just a cosmetics issue??? Myself, having spent ?$$? on orthodontia, I have my DD wear a full-face mask when playing corner IF. She has a Rip-It and doesn't complain, of course she thinks its nothing compared to her catcher's gear!

Teeth

Hey there Greenmonsters. It DOES cover the mouth. Not completely encompassing or enclosing the mouth like all the other masks. If a softball hit the mask, even on the lower portion near the mouth, it can't hit lips and teeth. Knowing Anatomy and Pysiololgy very well, the body will protect the chin at all costs with or without a mask on. Because its very vulnerable. The ball MAY hit the chin, but if it does, it will still hit the lower metal rod/bar and take a considerable amount of impact because of the size of the ball and the projection on the mask. And even if impact occurs, the slightest "tuck" actually puts the mask in the line of fire vs the chin or throat. I'm just a Dad and I don't care if they all wore catchers masks, but getting hit in the neck or a glancing blow off the mask into the chin is MUCH more recoverable than a direct hit to the eyes, nose and cheeks. None of that is good, but if I had to choose....... We are still getting to know our new team this year, and two parents said just today that they just can't get their DD to wear one. Asked me how I got my DD to wear one. Like I said above in the other post, she does or doesn't play. Unless catching or outfield. But she wants to wear this one, and says it doesn't make her look like a bozo like she thinks the others would. I find it safe, and she feels that its the smallest and least bulky of them all and wears it. But one thing that really makes her think about wearing one is the fact that she is one of those batters that blasts that ball right by the infielders ears. She has came SO close many times, and doesn't want to be next.

On this site, we probably only care about girls faces vs boys because its called Fastpitch.com and has a big yellow softball in the logo. But, You are absolutely right screwball. Concussions can still happen with any of the masks. I too as a parent know that. In my line of work, I see and study a ton of sports related facial trauma and the Bangerz 6500 protects the area most affected. It is baseball, softball and lacrosse. My son is through HS and college Bball and he wore the same one pitching and third base as my DD does. I just tend to talk "softball" these days since its all we are into now. My DD hits very well with a wooden bat, and likes it. So we would have no worries going to wood. She would still probably wear her mask though. Once the kids AND parents get past thining it makes them look weak or sissyfied, more will wear them if they have any worries about getting hit. My son was a leading playing on his teams, so nobody said much to the sissy tune. Being another "faceless" player is also why we go with the 6500. Everyone can see who she is and she doesn't look like a hockey goalie. Not that there is anything wrong with that. All of these masks ARE regulated and tested under ASTM F803-03 "Standard Specification for Eye Protectors for Selected Sports". I've done alot of homework on all the masks. I'll never say my DD will never get hurt wearing one, but she will not be on my operating table having 7 or 8 reconstructive surgeries. I could wrap the rest of her body in bubble wrap, but thats not a sport. Thats carnival sumo wrestling. Haha. I hope they do NOT make it mandatory. Give them the choice, or make the parents be parents and tell their kids what they will or will not wear. Every parent in our waiting room with these injuries wishes they had made their kid wear one. One last thing. My DD is 14 and plays at the 18A level. You are right, Fewer wear them past 14s because of peer comments or fashion, but not mine. Its her signature.

Check out at BANGERZ Sports Eye Protection for Men, Women and Youth and at Bangerz. Read the April 5th blog about Dillon Yeaman and how he came to be a HS6500 wearer.

Jun 21, 2010
Why do we only care about girls' faces and not boys? No boys wear masks and baseballs are more dangerous than softballs. I worked at the ballfields and can tell you from those running over for medical help.

Why do we care about girls' and boys' faces and not dogs? No dogs wear masks and cars are more dangerous than softballs and baseballs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors