How I convinced my daughter to wear a fielders mask while pitching....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
I let her pitch in her first select game without one.
(radical, I know)

And when that line drive missed her face by two inches, she came off the field, looked at me, and said "um, mom, about that mask...."

risky? yes!!!

but now she thinks its her idea.....

Jul 9, 2010
what age group are you in? those masks haven't caught on too much around here. it's very unusual to see anyone over about age 14 wearing one.

Feb 9, 2009
she's 10. And almost ALL the girls in TB at this age around here wear them. Not so much the older girls...

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
12U DD joined a new team this fall and is about the only kid in the infield without a mask. I buy equipment like a gadget junkie. I'm feeling like Family services will visit me for not having a mask. She tried the Game face and didn't like it. Maybe the wire one will give her a better field of view.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Insidepitch, if you hold out a little longer the Schutt titanium should be out in the next month or two. Lighter and stronger than the existing metal masks. My DD likes the metal wire over the game face now that she's worn it a bit.

Feb 9, 2009
I bought her a Rip-It the next day. After that game, that same night, she borrowed the 1B Rip-It and pitched some. She was amazed at how it didn't affect her pitching at all (that's what she was worried about) and it was pretty comfortable on the face.

It comes in different colors, but she wanted black, and asked if I could glue a peace sign on it somewhere....ugh, girls! HA!

Aug 16, 2010
I bought her a Rip-It the next day. After that game, that same night, she borrowed the 1B Rip-It and pitched some. She was amazed at how it didn't affect her pitching at all (that's what she was worried about) and it was pretty comfortable on the face.

My DD wears the Rip It as well. She refused to wear it her first year in TB until she took a hit to the throat/chin late in the season. (YouTube - 10u Pitcher took a line drive hit on the mound **sorry for quality) Fortunately it took a bounce before it hit her, but was still painful. After that there was no questions when telling her to wear it. She doesnt play the infield with out it.

**(edit)IMO.....ALL ages should be REQUIRED to wear a mask when pitching. A mask doesn't hender their abilities on the mound. There are too many line drives up the middle placing them at risk for injury.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Back when we were taught to place the ball, we used to try to hit the pitcher. In slow pitch, it is still that way, sometimes.

I see a lot of injuries during warm ups. So, I wear my mask, when I wear my glove.

I still haven't convinced many parents of the importance of masks, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877