How good is internal / external rotation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I understand how frustrating this can be.

The best solution would be to find a good IR coach...but, not everyone lives near a major metro area like SoCal or Chicagoland. And, not everyone has the time or inclination to teach their DD how to pitch.

Although IR is important, there is more to pitching than IR. Lots of pitchers were taught HE and then change to IR. (Sydney Littlejohn is the current pitcher du jour, and here is her HE form from 5 or 6 years back...https://youtu.be/UwKUR5oMwCU. Somehow, her HE instruction didn't ruin her career.)

My "action plan matrix" would be:

1) Find a good IR coach.
2) If you can't do (1), then talk to the PC about it. See if you can convince your PC to either (a) teach IR or (b) leave your DD alone about HE or IR. Honestly, in these days of high speed cameras, proving the validity of IR should not be an issue.
3) If you can't do (1) or (2), then teach her yourself.

Dec 23, 2014
WI
You said Chicagoland do you know a few that teach IR out here?
I understand how frustrating this can be.

The best solution would be to find a good IR coach...but, not everyone lives near a major metro area like SoCal or Chicagoland. And, not everyone has the time or inclination to teach their DD how to pitch.

Although IR is important, there is more to pitching than IR. Lots of pitchers were taught HE and then change to IR. (Sydney Littlejohn is the current pitcher du jour, and here is her HE form from 5 or 6 years back...https://youtu.be/UwKUR5oMwCU. Somehow, her HE instruction didn't ruin her career.)

My "action plan matrix" would be:

1) Find a good IR coach.
2) If you can't do (1), then talk to the PC about it. See if you can convince your PC to either (a) teach IR or (b) leave your DD alone about HE or IR. Honestly, in these days of high speed cameras, proving the validity of IR should not be an issue.
3) If you can't do (1) or (2), then teach her yourself.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

If you check at about the 6 sec mark you will see full IR even in this clip... and then she does the the classic "Jenny Finch IR and then Force my Arm Into HE" move. Same at 0:09 and 0:13 and so on. As you would expect, Littlejohn naturally figured IR out despite what whoever advising her was teaching. Arm rotated and extended, palm down finishing position, classic pronation.

Take 20-30 successful D1 pitchers video and watch the all in slow motion. You will see IR from every one of them (even if you do find one jerking their arm into HE). Watch the Amanda Scarborough slow mo videos. Ueno from Japan is another slow mo you can easily find. They all do it.

You don't want to hear the full story on why teaching HE is so popular because someone might tell you... and that is a can of worms I'd rather not open here again. Just do a search on this forum and if you see some posts from a few years back you can find it if you are really interested.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
You don't want to hear the full story on why HE is so popular because someone might tell you... and that is a can of worms I'd rather not open here again. Just do a search on this forum and if you see some posts from a few years back you can find it if you are really interested.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I just showed a young man, whose sister i am working with, how to pitch underhand in two minutes.

While i did this, another coach was watching, whose daughter sees a HE pitching coach, but i have discussed ir with him in the past.

What i did was have the young man play catch with me, starting with a very over the top throw, then 3/4 throw, then side arm throw(standing upright open) then almost submarine, then under using Brush interface. The coach watching says" AHH, i get it, i really get it" the young man "threw" a perfect strike.
I then made a deal with the young man, for every minute he catches for his sister, i will let him ride the quad for equal minutes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd