How fast should the wind-up/delivery be?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I'm not against using the no-backswing approach. The obvioius benefit is that the grip on the ball is much harder to see. My point was more about the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy--Since event Y (greater velocity) followed event X (doing away with backswing), event Y (greater velocity) must have been caused by event X (doing away with the backswing). I think we have to be very careful concluding that doing away with a backswing necessarily results in greater velocity. That's all.

Apr 12, 2015
I'the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy--Since event Y (greater velocity) followed event X (doing away with backswing), event Y (greater velocity) must have been caused by event X (doing away with the backswing). I think we have to be very careful concluding that doing away with a backswing necessarily results in greater velocity.

I think it is easier to say "Correlation does not equal causation"

;)

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
For what it's worth, I'm not married to the idea of a backswing at all. I was just wondering if the pitcher should be going fast immediately.

So let's take out the backswing part of the equation. How fast should the rearward move be? Is there any detriment to starting off slow and then exploding forward, or should a pitcher try to keep a consistent speed throughout?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
With all due respect, I would argue that the increase in speed in this regard isn't necessarily due to doing away with backswing.

Absolutely! Backswing affects timing. Without proper timing you cannot increase velocity. Very often timing issues can be resolved by simply increasing/decreasing the backswing.

We teach slow to the load and then at 12 explode.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
I'm not against using the no-backswing approach. The obvioius benefit is that the grip on the ball is much harder to see. My point was more about the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy--Since event Y (greater velocity) followed event X (doing away with backswing), event Y (greater velocity) must have been caused by event X (doing away with the backswing). I think we have to be very careful concluding that doing away with a backswing necessarily results in greater velocity. That's all.

yo, did they even play softball at the Colliseum? :D

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Think of a pitch like a golf swing. No matter how fast you go back into the windup, at some point your arm has to STOP and change directions. I would much rather see a pitcher with a slow and smooth back swing vs. fast and jerky. The acceleration that matters starts AFTER the pitchers arm changes direction and the WHIP developed with IR can matter more than the actual speed of arm.

Sep 10, 2013
I've always told DD to have a strong leg drive out, but to relax the arm circle and accelerate only upon heel plant. whenever DD goes crazy with her arm circle, bad things happen. timing problems.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
As usual, Riseball is on point.

It is much more important to get the body in the correct position and the timing right than to have a fast arm in the first half of the rotation.

Baseball pitching, softball pitching, golf swing...the emphasis on non-reactive sports moves is timing and getting to the proper body position.

Feb 17, 2014
This thread is 1 reason why a I love place.

Doug, this thread jives with what you've been telling me.

Thanks DFP!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles