How to catch up with a fast pitcher 10U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
How do you catch up to a fast pitcher? We had a game 10U this weekend. Where the pitcher was obviously an experienced older pitcher. Our girls are 9-10, and the pitcher was blowing it by them, consistently throwing strikes. I think we maybe, had 1 girl in our whole lineup hit the ball off her. It didn't help the game before the pitcher on the other team was really young, and throwing really slow. So timing was all messed up on our team.

What should we focus on, to get that timing down?

May 6, 2015
if they are much faster than what you normally face

-get everyone using the lightest bat in the dugout

-move them back in the box, rear foot on line at back.

-if you have some speedsters, try a few bunts, especially sneaky bunts (ie showing at last moment) in not normal bunting situations (if team has a dominant pitcher, they might be a little complacent defensively).

-get em ready for next one by cage work about 5 mph faster than you think this girl is throwing.

Dec 24, 2020
On the topic of speed, how fast can the fastest 10-11 year old pitchers throw? I'm sure it's in the 50's but not sure where at.

May 6, 2015
in our area, the very fastest 10u pitchers can get into low 60s, but it is rare (like a couple in the state). most bracket 10u pitchers are in the low to mid 50s.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
-get em ready for next one by cage work about 5 mph faster than you think this girl is throwing.

This. Basically, set the cage reaction time (not speed) to the speed of the pitcher you are to be facing, fast or slow. Remember to do the math, because you are trying to match the reaction time, not the speed. Ex. half the distance is half the speed.

Also, the number one thing you can do is make sure they stride on EVERY pitch, good or bad. 99% of kids this age wait until they think the pitch is good before they stride. By then it's too late. Hold the ball in the cage every 4th throw or so, and see if they moved.

Sep 19, 2018
I am in the suburbs of NYC. I understand that So Cal, TX and FL probably have very different expectations. But, it is pretty rare (at 10U) for a B level team to have more than a couple of hitters that can put a good consistent swing against upper 40s.

May 6, 2015
Also, the number one thing you can do is make sure they stride on EVERY pitch, good or bad. 99% of kids this age wait until they think the pitch is good before they stride. By then it's too late. Hold the ball in the cage every 4th throw or so, and see if they moved.
ond of DDs coaches had a two phrases along this line that stuck with me.

"it's a strike until it is not" ie as the pitcher reelases start to react like it is a strike until you decide it's not

"yes, yes, yes, no"

May 6, 2015
" most bracket 10u pitchers are in the low to mid 50s. "
Most??? Where is this?
maybe my memory is a little cloudy, but I remember DDs 10u team (granted they were all 10u), all three of their pitchers could hit 50 pretty consistently. maybe they were a step above most of the 10u around here (they were USSSA state runner ups), but I did not think they were that much faster than most other bracket pitchers in our area (more accurate, yes, faster, maybe).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom