How fast does a first year 10U pitcher throw?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2012
My DD is 9 years old and has recently started pitching. Looking for usome input on what speeds first year 10U pitchers are throwing. We realize accuracy is more important than speed at this age...but we are curious what others are throwing. We would love to hear from parents, team coachs, and pitching coachs. Thanks so much.

Jun 20, 2008
It depends on who is working the radar and what state you are located in. Really don't worry about speed, worry about starting them off learning the proper mechanics...

Apr 25, 2010
First, you are going to get different opinions on the speed vs. accuracy issue. For me, I want them to throw as hard as they can. The accuracy will come once their mechanics are coming into line.

Second, fast is relative. Especially at 10u. It can vary anywhere from mid-upper 30's to, in very rare cases, low 50's.

So, I wouldn't get so hung up on the numbers. Focus on mechanics and she will be right where she needs to.

I would say my Dd was throwing low 40's at 10u. She is first year 14u now and is throwing low-mid 50's. You will find, the older they get, the more movement matters over straight speed.

I am not sure about accuracy yet, I think getting the speed good from proper mechanics is important and telling girls to slow down and throw strikes is actually counter productive because is messes with their timing. As far as speed for a 10U pitcher low 40s is average I would guess high 40s would be considered fast, but I am no pitching coach so wait for someone who knows what they are talking about to give you a good answer.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Agree with others, speed is nice but does little good if it's ALL over the place.

Been a few years since those days for me but off hand I'd say 35-42 average for league to B level. High 40's for A class. You will see early bloomers hitting 50-51.

If a girl has decent control ( for a 9-10yo ) and cruises mid to upper 40's, I'd say that's pretty good for the age.

Nov 11, 2012
Amy AZ is right on..

35 is a good number for a first yr 10u. 40 is seen very frequently in our area for 2nd yr 10u

May 31, 2012
This weekend we are playing 11u Usssa state tournament in Florida. A guy had a bushnell. The fastest 4 pitchers were 47-49 all 02 birth years. 2 of these kids are big kids. There was an 03 throwing 44-46 but her control wasn't there yet. Most of the other kids 42-45. Big difference in 42 and 47 at 35ft. The kids that throw at least 45 and can hit their spots really do well. If they have a decent change up even better.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
everytime i see a thread like this,i smile:) because your are at the beginning of a great ride. and the people on this board are amazing and they are gonna help you make that ride even better. 1st year 10's throw in the low to mid 40's. people have different opinions on the throwing strikes 1st? or throwing hard 1st? i wanted my dd to throw hard 1st. and i remember telling her" you just throw it hard and they will get out of the way"? well, it didn't always work out that way? the real young ones didn't know they could move out of the way???? so i guess you will need to find a good balance between hard and strikes....just try not to get caught up in the 10u thing. "throw it down the middle,throw it down the middle", because then your putting your own dd at risk... goodluck !!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma