How Far

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
With the intent to hit, how far should a batter advance into their swing?, into the sequence?

For example, should the batter get all the way to the lag position? every pitch?

I would love to have this point available, in some different forms,( video, stills) (myself) to show the girls.

i feel i at least get to slot, but i have no game swings of myself.

Oct 25, 2009
Can't remember who to give the credit to (FFS, I think) but there was a cue that said "the train always leaves the station, the hands jump on board if it's a swing". The "train" is the lower half.

I tell the player if they want to stop the bat they squeeze the handle as hard as they can. That's the best chance of stopping it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SBP ... the credit for the train analogy goes to BM. A good analogy IMO.

Mann ... the decision to stop a swing is variable and the stop will occur before the "point of no return". See if the video clip below helps.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Thanks very much for the responces. The Slaught video shows several stopping points, depending on the ability to read the pitches, so some would be very easy to read, some harder, thus different stopping points. With elite hitters, of course this fine, but put an incoming freshman into a struggling varsity system, against elite pitching, deer in a headlight.

Since i have over 40 students, and when i teach i find it very helpfull to show video, and to have spot in their swing that they MUST get to, as a Starting Point in their development would be very beneficial.
somewhere between stretch and lag.
i personally love it when a girl swings and almost cannot stop. What you will see mostly is the girl that does not get going at all.

Girls i have been working with for years, they"re fine, the newbies, have to learn quick.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann ... it doesn't matter if you have 40 students, 1 student or 100+ students ... the answer is what it is ... the swing can be aborted up to the point of no return. Sounds like you are looking for a cookie cutter solution of a point to swing up to ... and I'm telling you in reality that it is variable.

As for having the attitude of being committed to swing until the hitter learns that the pitch is not a strike ... I'm 100% in agreement. That's exactly the attitude you want to promote. We step in the batter's box believing in our heart that we will be swinging.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
":)Cookie cutter approach":) Thats exactley what would come in handy with two weeks before a first season game,
Although its not nessesary anymore.
I like "the train leaves the station", i take that at least get to stretch.
Where they actually hold, is always going to be variable, however Five Frame, i would like to have a "AT LEAST, get to this point" everytime.

I like Sue's video, i play it for the kids.

As for myself, i know the feeling of YES, ........ No,s my problem.

Don, four strikes , you"re out.

I would like to download some take swings. I think i have some games on my dvr also. The kids would understand "around this point in the swing"

Jun 20, 2008
IMO "The Train" hasn't left the station at stretch, but it will be different for each batter some batters with the proper sequence will be able to stop all the way up to the point of where they commit the hands to the swing which is much later in the sequence...if the sequence is messed up and the top or hands go first they will have a hard time stopping after what ever point they commit the hands...

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Mann ... Doc Yeager would instruct for there to be a shift on every pitch. He wanted a slow, dead front-foot and he wanted the shift to put it down. Perhaps you are looking for something along that line.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Coach Enquist is amazing. Tons of respect. Her ability to coach was/is awesome. Also respect that she's not afraid to admit that some of the info in her old videos are out of date. Class act.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Bautista-Jose-2011-Take.gif

Bautista-Jose-2011-1-0-Take.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619