How far do many of you travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Thank you, amanda_cake! But...Eeeek, that means we may have to steel ourselves up for MORE years of driving. At least we'd have lots of time to grill...er, talk to her about awful things. ;)

As long as you are taking her to practice/games (things that she enjoys!) the grilling might be worth it.

Jun 25, 2009
2nd year 10U and we drive 20 miles. We have 2 girls that drive 45 minutes and a couple more that drive 15-20 from the other way. We have played on this team since 8u and we couldn't find a fall team. The team played in a UTrip league here in our town this summer, but plan on just playing tournaments this fall and summer. Practice twice a week on most weeks and once a week following a tournament. We really don't mind the drive. Straight down I30 and we actually enjoy the talking part.

May 25, 2010
My dd is a second yr 10U...I don't know if she could make it out of rec if we waited another year...

Even in the toughest of regions, I don't see the value in being willing to give up so easily on a girl who'd only be 11 next year.

I know you were just venting and letting readers know your thoughts, so that's all I'm doing as well. She's going to experience incredible - and rapid - changes over the next few years...if she wants softball in her life and it's keeping her grounded, while also letting her explore her potential, she could very well break out of rec ball at age 12-14. Heck, last month, I ran into a very special 15-year-old who's starting TB play for the first time this fall.

At age 10, your daughter's journey has only just begun. Let her enjoy it, whatever it brings. Oh, and you make sure you enjoy it, too. :)

Apr 1, 2010
Thanks, SoftSocDad. Yes, I guess I WAS venting a bit, LOL. Her old beloved rec team seemed to be getting worse rather than improving and she was becoming discouraged that it didn't matter how hard she tried, because so many of the others didn't. I don't know where she'd be after another year there. I'm hoping we're going to have a blast this coming year!

SoftballMomof2

Softball Mom
Aug 16, 2010
We live 40 minutes from any major city - So with my DD's current team it takes 40 minutes one way to get to practice and most in state tourneys are 2 hours away!

With the new team we are starting with it's a little further - it will be 1 hour drive one way for practice, but about same distance for most in state tourneys.... We are only practicing twice a week now, as opposed to 3 times weekly with previous team. So it kind of evens out, though the practices are a bit longer.

Oh my DD is 10U (going into 3rd year)

Apr 1, 2010
Turns out the practice fields are even further south than the tryout fields, so it's taking about 38-40 minutes. But there's so much less wasted time and so much more training going on than with her old rec team. After just a few practices, for example, dd's throw downs to second are a lot flatter and faster. And she's having a blast, which makes it worth the drive!

Jun 21, 2010
First year 12U. Nothing in our town for fall softball ( soccer rules ) so we travel 2 hours round trip.

Traveling for practice. Oh geez. We were like many other on here, at 12U's, maybe 30 minutes. Our DD started first year 12s and the first year really got the hang of it and stood out. She caught the eyes of several good teams in about 1 1/2 hours south of Denver, we live about 20 minutes North of Denver. Great teams, and she was a pickup player with several of them many times. Wanted to be apart of them but just couldn't make the drive, nor make practices on time. Our daughter has turned into a true team stud, and those southern colorado teams offered spots with no tryouts and no need to make practices because she does so much at home on her own. We were really tempted, but realized that is just wouldn't be fair to the team, nor our daughter. Where would the chemistry and bonding come from? So we have passed on joining those teams for 2 seasons now, and just feel horrible, but just can't do it. However, she just finished her first year of 14s, and was scouted and offered starting spots on two 18A teams. One 40 minutes south, and one 45 minutes north. Both are top level teams. We chose the south one. But at this level, if we could (afford to) I'd drive all night to get her there simply because of the effort she puts into it even outside of team practices. Not at 12s or 14s though. She never lost the friends she did make as a pickup player with the southern teams, so no real loss I guess. Can't wait till she's doing the driving. Haha.

Aug 25, 2010
travel

There is not much around us, so we travel a little over an hour. My dd plays 10U and we had about the same commute for 8U. It is worth it to play with a team that will play competition and make her a better player. I am actually coaching this year, but it is a great organization to be a part of.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar