How far do many of you travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Pick her up from school at 2:30? We don't get out of school here until 3:15!

I've never played travel ball, however, I do have comments. I would not even think about that distance at 10U, especially when the 10U rec teams here are great. If she was a dedicated 14U+ player, then I would definitely consider it. I'd seriously consider it when she was old enough to drive herself to/from practice as well.

That actually was my thought until my DD actually got her driver's licence -- now I'm nervous if she drives 15 minutes away. I'd freak if she had to drive an hour plus on her own to practice.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
That actually was my thought until my DD actually got her driver's licence -- now I'm nervous if she drives 15 minutes away. I'd freak if she had to drive an hour plus on her own to practice.

Before I start this post, might be a good idea to tell/remind some of y'all that I am seventeen. Just got my license after holding my learner's permit for eons... I wasn't really interested in driving but now that I have my own car... different story of course! I do think that my parents are glad for me to drive myself places. As much softball as I play, I'm surprised they aren't burnt out by now.

I've heard many stories about girls learning to drive on the way to/from softball practice. If she had driven that hour plus with you in the car for countless practices while holding her learner's, then by the time she could do it as a licensed driver she should be an expert. That being said, you've got to let her do it--and if you are anything like my parents, they were less than thrilled to get in the car with me for driving lessons until a few months ago.

Sep 3, 2009
I personally wouldn't want to drive my 12yo daughter more than maybe 30 minutes one way. We live in a large city, with an abundance of teams, so it's not hard to get on a good team that's close. There is one coach of a team, wanting my dd to tryout, but they're on the opposite side of the city. Looking at an hour in traffic, one way. With no traffic it *might* be 35 minutes. Don't know if we want to deal with that twice a week.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I always found the best time to talk to my DD, was when I had her trapped in the car. I am surprised that she would ride more than 10 minutes with me.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I always found the best time to talk to my DD, was when I had her trapped in the car. I am surprised that she would ride more than 10 minutes with me.

Thank you! I complained about this earlier today to my parents. My dad asked me if I wanted him to go to my hitting lesson... um, not really dad but you can if you want to. I then explained how I like to ride by myself and how I hate talking in the car in general. You get in there, your parents trap you in with no escape route, and want to talk about awful things.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA

Thank you! I complained about this earlier today to my parents. My dad asked me if I wanted him to go to my hitting lesson... um, not really dad but you can if you want to. I then explained how I like to ride by myself and how I hate talking in the car in general. You get in there, your parents trap you in with no escape route, and want to talk about awful things.

Jul 28, 2008
5 minutes here. Our 16U team has a girl who lives 120 miles away. She makes the weekend practices. I know a guy who had an 18G team in the late 90's and he had girls come from as far away as 5hrs (Spokane to Seattle). He would have 5hr practices on the weekends to accommodate the kids who traveled far distances.

Jan 20, 2010
My soon to be 12U daughter is going to try out for a team about 35 mins away with good traffic (and that freeway never has good traffic) which gives me pause.

I mapped your tryout location shockcoach...1 hour and 5 minutes...too far :).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors