How do you know when you need a heavier bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
A quote from a very good hitting coach "Additionally coaches that MAKE you stand in the front of the batters box are not very smart in my opinion as that changes your timing and rhythm and if the pitcher has a fast ball and can change speeds they own the hitter….that is a 7 foot adjustment and that affects timing! You have tried to create a data base or sometimes I term it a swing DNA so you can react to the ball and your brain recalls the approximate speed, recognizes spin or movement and tells your body and hands be here or there and hit the ball. "

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
SBF - As a short-term fix, I don't have issue w/ the batter changing location in the box during the game - then make corrections during next BP. The ability to adjust to different heights and speeds is one of the biggest benefits that comes from practicing the Bonds drill. And, IMO, "a pitcher that has a fastball and can change speeds" is going to challenge most hitters!

Feb 9, 2009
well, we face pitchers that only have one pitch, one speed. (10U)

So, moving them in the box makes complete sense if their timing is off...gotta get them feeling more confident somehow...

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
greenmonsters: That quote is Howard's hitter and we do not teach kids to move in the box, the purpose of the Barry Bonds Drill is adjust to different speeds, because most kids stand in one spot in a pitching cage. We also have them move in and out. Bustos will move in the box to bait a pitcher, but most kids are not that good.. I would post his quote on what he thinks of coaches that move kids in the box, but it isn't very nice!

Feb 9, 2009
I don't claim to be a hitting coach guru...I just don't think it's a good thing to let a kid strike out all season to prove a point.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
greenmonsters: That quote is Howard's hitter and we do not teach kids to move in the box, the purpose of the Barry Bonds Drill is adjust to different speeds, because most kids stand in one spot in a pitching cage. We also have them move in and out. Bustos will move in the box to bait a pitcher, but most kids are not that good.. I would post his quote on what he thinks of coaches that move kids in the box, but it isn't very nice!

LOL - I recognized the source immediately! My point is that if a kid is familiar w/ the Bonds drill, in a pinch they can move in the box to compensate in game, but its not a good long-term fix. And yes, the very good ones can do it proactively to look for a certain pitch.

R

rayallen

As a youth baseball coach I teach kids basebal to not only the players but the parents too. I hear these same questions all the time and do you know what I tell them? Bat weight, height, composition - it's all hype! You may be asking how do I tell if he can handle the bat or not. Well here is a REALLY, REALLY GREAT TIP for judging if a bat is too heavy. I've used this technique for 35 years and shared it over 100 times.

1. Have your child wrap the index finger and the thumb around the knob of the bat.
2. Use the hand that would be on the bottom of the bat when swinging (if the are righty it would be the left - and vice-versa)
3. Next, have them hold the bat straight out in front of them.
4. Make sure they are NOT using the whole hand to support the bat

If they can't keep the bat up (level) then the bat is too heavy.

Simple as that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez