How do you handle this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
So your DD has some discernible pitches and apparently is able to hit her spots regularly. And she is playing 12U Rec because???? Why are you wasting your and her time? Get her to a 12U or better yet 14U TB team and elevate her game.

I hear what you are saying but you have to remember that many SoCal rec leagues are very competitive especially the all-star teams and the tournaments we play in. There are some good coaches and players, its a crap shoot though. She wanted to make one last run at Nationals this season and will likely tryout for TB this fall (she's only a 1st year 12U). As you know, travel ball is a huge commitment for both the player and family members so we have been putting it off as long as possible:)

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
Rec ball around here the pitchers are happy just to get it over;) If she has that many pitches masted she is playing at the wrong level. I am not saying this is your case, I see alot of good players playing in league/teams where they are by far the best player there. IMHO these kids need to be moved up in level or age so that they are challenged. It sometimes seems to be the big fish in a little pond or a little fish in the big pond. if possible I nudge my dd to go where you are pushed rather than chased

Oct 22, 2009
Ugh, one of my pet peeves as a PC is when my pitchers have bad coaches.

I have a 14u whose coach only believes in fastballs.
I've had coaches that only will call what their DD has, so if my pitchers has a best pitch and his DD doesn't well that pitch won't get called.
A coach that doesn't believe in riseballs.
I have a HS player in playoffs right now whose coach played at the collegiate level. 1st base. Knows nothing about pitch calling. Likes to stick to the same 3 pitches(every pitcher-doesn't matter what your strengths or weaknesses are), doesn't like off speed, and likes to call the same pitch over again that the batter just blasted the at bat before. Oh, yeah, they're not in play offs anymore.

I've noticed a lot of high school teams in play-offs around here are just simply out coached. One of my juniors just lost Regionals in San Antonio and her mom said she pitched great, her team was better than the other team but they were just out-coached.

Great coaches are really hard to find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1