How do I tell our pitching coach we are switching?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
We have been working with a tremendous coach for two years and she has done well by my daughter. However things have become a bit stagnant and I don't like how she takes calls and texts during our lesson. We were accepted by the top pitching coach in the state and now I need to tell the current coach...who we love, that we are switching for pitching but will remain for hitting. My kid wants to go to the next level and this warrants a move...

I need some advice here.

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Heck, with me, they just disappear. But, I see that you want to use her for hitting. Honesty is the best policy and you need to do it by phone or face to face.

Jul 9, 2012
Straightforward, honest and face to face. It sucks doing it. The reality is you are paying for a service. I know the teacher and instructors we hire become friends and mentors to kids and us. But, you do what you feel is right, teach your kids to not be afraid of the change and move on. We just went brought the same thing with my oldest dd violin teacher of 3 yrs. teacher didn't take it well, but we had to move on.

May 17, 2012
I would personally let them know why I was moving on in hope that they would address the issues.

That might help some of the other students that can't switch coaches.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Changing pitching coaches is not that uncommon, and most pitchers go through several pitching coaches during their careers. My DD has been pitching for 4 years and has been to 5 different pitching coaches through the years - some by our choice and some from changes in schedule/location by the pitching coach.

Sometimes a fresh set of eyes and drills is just what you need to get your DD off a plateau. I remember a batting coach my DD went to for a year. The first lesson we had with her was exactly the same as the last lesson we had with her.......along with every lesson in between!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The honest approach is best. Maybe she'll learn to focus on the kids more than her phone. Does this happen during batting lessons too?

Dec 7, 2011
Be careful not to burn any bridges too.

We had a similar experience. Thought DD was stagnating so ran around with 5 other pitching coaches in the state. Two years later we are back with our original.

Sometimes ya gotta watch out for "the grass has got to be greener" trap. We found that many "top" pitching coaches really havent advanced their techniques in over 10-20 years probably. Just like any effective coach there has got to be a certain chemistry and respect involved too.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD has been going to the same PC for the past 6 years. Last summer it seemed as if she was actually going backwards. We were ready to move her to a "Top PC" in the area but decided to talk to her TB coach first. After a long discussion with him about DD's progression, we decided to stay with the original PC. We talked to her PC about her supposed regression who understood and thanked her for staying. He DID start working on a couple of different mechanics after the discussion and DD has improved quite a bit since then.

I would have a conversation with her current PC before making a decision to move. I'm glad we were all honest with everyone and took our time making a decision.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
However things have become a bit stagnant and I don't like how she takes calls and texts during our lesson.!

Like others have suggested I would just tell her face to face that you want to try a new PC. I would leave the calls and texts part out of your conversation and stay positive and thank her for all she has done to help your DD.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would be turned off by the use of the phone. Mine stays in the dugout. Only you can tell how disruptive it is. Sometimes, though, the student just needs to pitch and I don't need to be out there bird dogging everything. I say "You work on this and I am going to drink water." But, within 5 pitches I am back out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32