How do I find the perfect release point????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
When DD was younger she had the same issues of throwing high one pitch and low the next. The way we worked on it was I would have her stand about 30' away and throw 3 pitches to me. (she was in 10u pitching from 35' at the time) Next I would have her move back to 40' and throw 3 pitches. Then 30' for three more moving her back and forth. Then have her throw from 35 a couple of times. When she was closer it just seemed easyer for her to hit her target. When she was farther then she had to throw hard to cover the extra distance. Along the way the proper release just showed cause she wasn't thinking about where to release it just throw. The other thing I would do is have her throw inside and outside while she was doing this. This is something we still do sometimes. I just make sure she is working on her other pitches at the same time, CU, drop... the only thing now is I wont let her throw from 30' I'm too old for that.

Aug 20, 2013
Ok a follow-up. We have been working from about 5 feet only 10 minutes at a time. Feeling the brush, saying "now" at the brush point to really hammer it home. Doing circles with her eyes closed just to feel it. We are only using lighter balls right now to do lots more throws. The release point has really improved after about 5 sessions of this.

But, as soon as I say, try and hit the ground or top of net or middle of net(where she hits with saying "now" at the brush), she immediately goes back to aiming.

She is only 9 so I am thrilled she is getting just the one spot. I am thinking I should just stick with learning to hit the one spot????

GG

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Ok a follow-up. We have been working from about 5 feet only 10 minutes at a time. Feeling the brush, saying "now" at the brush point to really hammer it home. Doing circles with her eyes closed just to feel it. We are only using lighter balls right now to do lots more throws. The release point has really improved after about 5 sessions of this.

But, as soon as I say, try and hit the ground or top of net or middle of net(where she hits with saying "now" at the brush), she immediately goes back to aiming.

She is only 9 so I am thrilled she is getting just the one spot. I am thinking I should just stick with learning to hit the one spot????

GG

Do you really think the saying "now" is the way to go? I would argue it would make it too difficult to get the feel for it.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
GG.

Don't make it too mechanical on where to find the release point. Let her learn feel. Just go out in the back yard and play catch underhanded just as naturaly as you would play overhand. Not throwing pitches. Somewhere along the way she will learn the feel of her arm. I am willing to bet there is not a person on this forum that hasn't turned around hopping the ball doesn't hit the car. Just playing catch is good practice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying