How do I find the perfect release point????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
We have the BH version. It is meant more for the circle than release point, but I understand your thinking.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
one thing I remember we did ALOT before she started getting more accurate with the release point is we played a lot of underhand catch. We did this all the time for a while, we still do. When all is said and done this is all pitching is so the more the better. just make sure the proper mechanics are still a focus during this.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Thanks for the feedback. How would you explain brush interference to a young girl--9 years old?

If the arm is going as fast as it should, can the brain process, "I just brushed I need to release now" at such an early age? I really don't want to confuse her, but would like to offer her something for timing that isn't a dead giveaway to the batter. But if it will just confuse her more, I will just let time work it out.

I do ask her when she throws and misses, what was the cause and 9 out of 10 times, she can tell me right away. But adjusting isn't quite there yet.

GG,

I wouldn't necessarily explain it... it's more of a result of proper arm positioning as the arm comes into the last quarter of the circle. Many focus on the elbow leading the motion into the side... but rather than do this - focus on the bicep/tricep contacting the side of the chest. Providing she's not side-arming the release, if she's doing the above AND her drive heel is not travelling towards first AND she has reached a vertical posture during the release, brush just happens.

Again -
Bicep stabilization attained by bicep/tricep contact into side, not the elbow.

1) fingers pointing downward during release phase (not out to side)
2) Upright (standing tall, not leaning forward) posture
3) drive leg heel does not bowling kick off-line (towards first)

Brush happens as a result of other sound mechanics. Rick P might have more on this... but that's how I see it...

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I am not going to read all the different replies here. I will say this; it is not always the release point that is the cause of missing the target. Other things can be the culprit.

Having said that, now I will ask what follow through does she have? That can often be the cause. If it is a movement pitch and the follow through after release happens a hearftbeat too soon BEFORE the release, it will be off target. The same can occur if a heartbeat too late.

What pitch is she throwing that is giving her the high / low inaccuracy?

Is the ball being gripped far back in the hand? Is thed b all touching the palm?

It is not always a case of the release point being off.

Practice pitching with a wiffle ball, the kind with the holes in it. Anything not correct will be magnified 10X. Dont let it touch the palm, use the fingers. Too often pitchers let the weight of the ball do most of their thinking for them. Take the weight away and they have no olther choice but to think about what the fingers do when it comes to pitching accuracy.

Aug 20, 2013
Ok. Hold the ball, now place your arm by your side. Knock on your leg like you are knocking on a door. This has NOTHING to do with the pitch itself, just a reminder to release at the hip.

I don't really care about what college age pitchers are doing. My kid is 9. She can't do a lot of what college age pitchers are doing cause she's not in college. I am talking about my kid right now.

Honestly OILF, I don't ever see you offer much in help when you post, just criticism and questions. It really can't be off putting.

GG

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
"I also like to see what the young women think about fashion or phones, just to keep up to date. I check with the seniors all the time my HS and college players for what's up in softball or anything. I would want the latest info, not out-dated stuff." OILF

I like to hang out with 17 year old guys just to keep up to date on fashion and music too. I love sagging my pants and listening to whatever they listen to. Do you like my earing? It's pretty chill, we hang out at the mall and scope chicks.

WTF....this is creepy no matter what your gender....

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
We have the BH version. It is meant more for the circle than release point, but I understand your thinking.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting you use a flap. You'd asked about other references to forearm brush. Rich Balswick talks about it in the thread. In spite the fact that almost all high level pitchers can be seen brushing the forearm, there really isn't much out there about it. It just happens with good form.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to make suggestions and give advice. I would love to hear one of your DD explain it on here how they think you come to do it. That would be very interesting to read also. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

GG

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
Thanks so much to everyone who took the time to make suggestions and give advice. I would love to hear one of your DD explain it on here how they think you come to do it. That would be very interesting to read also. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

GG

I'm game. I'll ask DD if she wants to respond when she wakes up. I think she'll go for it, she's cool that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott