How did you decide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
DD was in Softball, Soccer and Figure Skating and doing well in all. But it was too much for my wallet and watch, even with my mom helping with getting DD to skating lessons. Her mom, my ex, was too busy doing her own things.

I just told her she need to decide which sport to drop, which to do for fun and which to do serious. Figure Skating was dropped (YAY! they might as well have hooked a vacuum tube to my wallet), Soccer for fun and serious softball.
It worked out great. Time and money was freed up, she got to play with her soccer buddies a few more seasons and gradually progressed up the ranks of softball teams. She's now in her Junior year playing D1 ball.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I know you said that ballet is where all DD's friends are, so I would probably just try to be sure she has some playdates/sleepovers with them set up as she transitions out of it. Let's face it: girl relationships shift, and after a year away from them, the urgency to see them will fade. There is some truth to "out of sight, out of mind." My daughter's BFF moved away a few years ago and she was devastated. Fast forward and I haven't even heard her mention her friend in at least a year. She'll make new BFFs on her teams. I wouldn't let the friendship thing be the determining factor.

Jun 24, 2011
DD had the choice to make as a 10 year old, karate or softball. She was one of those kids that were progressing two or three belts per graduation. She chose softball. Without hesitation.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
Boy, can I relate to this lol. Last year DD got recruited to play on a Premiere (select) soccer team, and it was both fall and spring. She also played indoor soccer over winter. I think she was actually a better soccer player than a softball player....she always led her team in goals and penalties :p . We really had a lot of schedule conflicts during the spring seasons. Her soccer coach was getting frustrated because she would always choose softball over a soccer. Once the season was over we kind of had a heart to heart about it not really being fair to the soccer team for her to miss half of the games and practices, and maybe it was time to pick one and stick with it for a year. Obviously she chose softball, and is looking forward to doing more hitting over the winter this year instead of having soccer year round. She is playing rec soccer just to still be in the sport, but it's not nearly as time consuming ,expensive, or competitive. She has actually missed most of the rec soccer so far since she unexpectedly made the 7th grade middle school softball team as a 6th grader. She has MS practice or a game 5 days a week, so i couldn't imagine trying to juggle soccer in there now. On top of that I have an 8 year old DS that is starting to find his way in sports, and a soon to be two year old that can't sit still :rolleyes: .

Mar 13, 2014
SO are you looking to decide on a travel team?? Be honest now.......

No, like I said, we backed out of tryouts once we saw the ballet schedule. We even turned down the offer to play fall-ball with the all-stars. It turned out to be a good decision anyway because of the impending surgery (which isn't injury related).

There's your answer. Don't tweak. Talk to her while she's recovering and let her choose which one she wants to do.

That's the plan we came up with too. We've already explained to her that we can't do all three next spring. I guess I just made the thread hoping someone had some insight on how to help guide her. Hearing other family's stories and advice has helped though, so thanks again to all.

We'll obviously support her whatever she eventually decides. I'll be disappointed if she walks away from softball, as I would like to see her play against better competition, but I'll be proud of her for making her own decision and sticking to it.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
No, like I said, we backed out of tryouts once we saw the ballet schedule. We even turned down the offer to play fall-ball with the all-stars. It turned out to be a good decision anyway because of the impending surgery (which isn't injury related).

Ballet huh?? Riddle me this Bstine. Why is ballet so important to you ?

Mar 13, 2014
Ballet huh?? Riddle me this Bstine. Why is ballet so important to you ?

I like the way the tights hug my buns...

Seriously, for the same reason most people are on this forum; for our kids. The only way any of these things is important to me is because my kid is into them. Ballet, soccer, softball, whatever. I'm trying to support my kid and allow her to pursue her interests. Up to this point, we managed to keep up with them all. Now we can't. As I've said, my preference would be to stick with sports and cut way back on the dance. But she's been taking ballet/dance a lot longer than she's been involved in sports, so it would be a big change for her. And yet again, I'd like her to make the decision.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles