How did you decide?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2014
We also have a family rule (I have an older son): If I have to bug you, push you, or threaten you to get you to go to whatever practice or game or rehearsal or performance you're supposed to be going to, then we need to reconsider it as a "passion." Kids should, by age 11-12, be able to start finding inner motivation and passion on their own. Otherwise, I would seriously question why they're doing it - and whether it's worth the time and money.

I'm with you. If she complained about practicing or going to games, the decision would be easy. We'd make it for her!

DS is a totally different story. Help!

Has he tried individual sports like tennis or swimming? Sounds like he's into video games, so how about something like fencing? BMX?

Your daughter sounds a lot like my oldest (thus this topic). My youngest has played and enjoyed t-ball, and also takes ballet and gymnastics. But she has zero interest in soccer.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I totally get where you're coming from. Where I'm torn is between knowing that he simply cannot spend his adolescence being a coach potato and forcing him to do something he hates. We did not push the issue with baseball last year. He DID make improvements and the coach really wanted him to come back, but the skills gap between him and others his age was becoming glaringly obvious to me. Weight is a concern. He is not overweight, but there is a genetic predisposition and his weight spiked higher in one year's worth of growth than it should have. I agree completely with the wanting to spend time with us thing. To be perfectly frank, I have a hard time getting DH off the golf course during weekends to do stuff with the kids. I think DS would throw the ball or bike with his Dad. I just wish he would find a physical activity he really likes. He's interested in archery and shooting (has to be 12 to take lessons at the nearby range). He's mildly interested in golf, but is ADHD and his attention span is pretty short (not good for a game like golf).

Anyway, I'm sorry to hijack OP's thread. I was just interested in people's opinions and appreciate this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad