How can coaches show interest

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
What sort of things do college coaches do when they are interested and want the potential recruit to know but have to follow guidelines? I know DD can talk to them at clinics etc... but what about after the clinic or showcases and the coach wants to get a jump start on things?

Dec 20, 2012
What sort of things do college coaches do when they are interested and want the potential recruit to know but have to follow guidelines? I know DD can talk to them at clinics etc... but what about after the clinic or showcases and the coach wants to get a jump start on things?

They will contact her coach or recruiting coord. They will use a middle man to get to her. Once that contact is made they may have her call them. There is no limit or restrictions for her to call them. They can email, call, text,.... How they can contact depends on what year of school they are in.

Oct 10, 2011
letter

DD recieved a letter from a coach she talked to at a showcase clinic. It said she couldn't talk about recruitment due to NCAA rules until June 15th but she would like her to come to a clinic at her University. If she decided to visit the University before that, she could see all the school has to offer student athletes. It said to email her if she will or will not be able to attend. Clever marketing of the clinic? It didn't even have clinic registration etc... with it. She had done very well at that showcase and liked the coach.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
This morning DD's coach exited the dugout with his player book and met a woman behind the backstop. He opened the book and they both looked at some papers. I have seen TB coaches exit the dugout to speak with College coaches so this appears the primary way of letting a kid know.

Mar 26, 2013
DD recieved a letter from a coach she talked to at a showcase clinic. It said she couldn't talk about recruitment due to NCAA rules until June 15th but she would like her to come to a clinic at her University. If she decided to visit the University before that, she could see all the school has to offer student athletes. It said to email her if she will or will not be able to attend. Clever marketing of the clinic? It didn't even have clinic registration etc... with it. She had done very well at that showcase and liked the coach.
I presume it is a D-II school based on the June 15 date. If so, the letter goes beyond the camp brochures and questionnaires they are allowed to send at this time to a sophomore. The offer of an unofficial visit certainly makes it seem more than marketing of their clinic.

How many other people do you know that attended the clinic? I'd check to see how many of them received similar letters. If it's marketing, all/most will also have received them. If not, it's pretty clear the school is interested in your DD.

Dec 7, 2011

This was my DD's experience too. We were initially thinking it was more of a ploy to get more campers but here we are all committed and enjoying life. It's easy for me to say this but I think ya gotta stay positive and go after every opportunity given ya regardless how impersonal the interactions might seem at the start.

Oct 10, 2011
email

We recieved an email that was the same as the letter but also said that if she couldn't make it, that they would be at another Universities Clinic and would like to work with her. but they would prefer her to go to their school instead. I think that answers my question. It is a D2 school but DD has no interest in going there. I thought it would be a good experience but she is going to several other clinics all ready.

Feb 1, 2010
You will find you will receive a lot of emails from schools regarding camps. They will get your email address or your DD email from the booklets the showcases give to the coaches. The majority of them will be strictly trying to get people to come to the camps. Let's face it, they are money makers. However, if there happens to be a school your DD is interested in, then by all means go ahead and go to the camps. Over the years we have done many camps, and quite honestly, had offers from many of those schools. It's a great way to meet the coaches, look at the campus with a small group...usually. The travel coaches can talk to the college coaches and was our experience on several occasions the college coach emailed the travel coach and said please have your player call me or please pass this email to your player. If they are interseted, they will find a way to contact you. I also have said, never close a door until you have made your absolute final decision. Keep all options open. Your DD has a few years to make decisions, so either way, don't jump the gun and take the first offer, unless it's your dream school and the $$$ are right. But don't discount certain schools either. Go take a look, talk to the coaches. You may find out you like the school after all. My DD always thought she wanted a large school and in fact chose a smaller school...still D1, but loves the coach and loves the school. And if you had asked her two years ago, she may have never even looked at the school. But the fact she was able to talk to the coach one on one at a camp was HUGE. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Sep 3, 2009
Not that I'm any kind of authority on the subject (my dd is still going through all this now).. but sometimes it's obvious when the coaches are interested. Just about every school will email back a camp/clinic flyer if you send them an email. That's not necessarily "interest". Now if that email comes with the coaches office and cell phone numbers listed in the email, then it's pretty obvious..
We were told to give the college coaches as many avenues as possible to contact. My dd lists her HS coaches, Travelball coaches, and hitting coach in her email correspondence to college coaches. She's gotten some feedback and interest that has filtered back to her that way as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi