How Bad do YOU Want It?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
There's a moral to this tale...

So... about 6 months ago, a DFP member and I started chatting on this marvelous forum. They are from the nosebleed part of NY (it's a heck of a drive for them... and every time they arrive... snow usually follows) - but 3.5 months ago we got together and started working on figuring out this pitching thing.

Upon getting together, we talked about what the expectations were... her goals, the hard work required, etc. I had seen video of her pitching... and the first few takes were... well, less than optimal. From the beginning, it was very evident that THEY had lots of questions. The key word is/was: THEY.

You see, this is a team. It's a father and a daughter... that pack a lunch, pack their equipment, and set out TOGETHER, so that we may all work towards a common goal.

Dad is a student, not an rear. Dad cares. Dad is patient. Dad is never assumptive, but he is assertive. I get weekly updates... not just little video snips... but ideas and questions about things that he can do to help her get better. He doesn't take a week off.

Daughter is a student. She listens. She thinks... and then applies her understanding of what it is expected of her during that session. She wants to be better... and has worked her butt off to improve the next fundamental. She understands that pitching is as much about understanding what to do... as it is doing it.

Although they get frustrated, this dynamic duo shares every high - and every low - TOGETHER. They take it serious, but know when to have fun.

There are no wasted repetitions. Every pitch/throw has a meaning/purpose. Most importantly, these two work their tails off. It's not about "going through the motions", it's about perfecting them. Have they? No. But in 3.5 months, she has grown... infinitely (even had to take a few weeks off after breaking a finger!)

But, what was a sheepish personality to start with... is growing into a confident young lady/leader. Pitching is adding to their lives, to their relationship, and soon... to the community around them.

Super proud of you K. You are a great father, R. You guys keep up the hard work. And thank you... for giving me the best holiday gift one could ask for:

1. A reminder that this sport is about a heck of a lot more than just throwing a ball. ;)
  2. There is no replacement for taking the time necessary, to do it right.
Minus the month off... here's your progress since the end of August:

15f68b4.jpg

p.s. You've exceeded your original goal (in my opinion)... can't wait to share the next one with you!

May 9, 2014
For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of meeting Mike (Java), let me assure you he is even better in person than he is here. He insures that we both understand HOW the body works and WHY she needs to do what she does. This is INCREDIBLY important to her, because she will almost certainly be asked about her motion from people that don't get it. She needs to know, "I keep my palm up and pull down the back of the circle because it creates a reflex reaction in my elbow that accelarates my hand past my elbow faster than I can move it consciously." He is also incredibly motivating while never allowing her to settle for anything less than perfection. I promised her when she started as a pitcher that if she showed me hard work and her best effort, that I would provide her with the best instruction I could. Mike has allowed me to fulfill that promise. His profile here says "always accepting new students," if you are without a pitching coach, I urge you to contact him.

For the creators of this site, all the other coaches, and anyone else that has shared part of your journey over the past 2 years, the improvement you see here is a direct result of your generosity. Without this site, K never meets Mike, and chances are we never hear of internal rotation. As awesome as Mike is, I have used descriptions from all of the coaches on here to help K through drills, create new drills, or otherwise enhance our practices. Other parents have been incredibly helpful, especially to help me remember how important it is to balance her pitching work with her other endeavors and to show her that she is not the only one experiencing the same difficulties. Stories from around the country are both motivating and humbling, as NY simply doesn't have the kind of competition that many of you experience.

You people are amazing and we can't thank you enough!

Jun 12, 2015
Wow! Good work, dad & daughter (and java ;)). I'm a novice myself but even I can see the improvement there.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Awesome gif to add to show an awesome successful journey to this point.

I'm hoping ours turns out this way. Seeing a new to us, reputable PC next weekend. Looking forward to a successful journey of our own. And it is, somewhat, about us, not just her or myself. I am constantly trying to learn. Not only for her, but for myself as well, to become a better coach, to help her and her teammates

Java, I'd like to add a Big THANK YOU for all you do here on dfp!

Nov 29, 2009
NewbieDad,

The comparison from the start to the present day is like night and day. Just remember. It's a marathon. In the beginning all of the big pieces of the motion fall in place quickly. The tedious part comes after all those parts are in place. It's the fine tweaks sanding down the sharp edges to make her motion smooth and consistent that take time. From JS's post it sounds like you really want to understand the pitching motion to help your DD. She will be a better pitcher for it. Good luck and stay patient. It sounds like your DD has the drive to want to reach her full potential as a pitcher.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Congrats on the progress! I don't often wish I still lived in NY but for the sake of my DD's pitching I could be tempted back from CO! As it is in so many parts of the country it's difficult (to say the least) to find this kind of coaching and guidance. For sure this website has been a big help but some of us Dad's can only take it so far !

May 9, 2014
NewbieDad,

The comparison from the start to the present day is like night and day. Just remember. It's a marathon. In the beginning all of the big pieces of the motion fall in place quickly. The tedious part comes after all those parts are in place. It's the fine tweaks sanding down the sharp edges to make her motion smooth and consistent that take time. From JS's post it sounds like you really want to understand the pitching motion to help your DD. She will be a better pitcher for it. Good luck and stay patient. It sounds like your DD has the drive to want to reach her full potential as a pitcher.

Sparky,

This is a great example of why I love this site...Words like marathon and struggle are used over and over again to describe the journey these young girls take to become quality pitchers. Because of the information shared here, we know that we have barely left the starting gate. When we have our setbacks and struggles, I can usually look on here and find someone who is going through or has went through the same challenges. On a couple of other occasions, I posted about an issue and immediately received valuable feedback and advice. In fact, your advice about sanding down the sharp edges is incredibly timely, as we have a "To-Do" list intended to help with exactly that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand