How about those Not So Good Weekends?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2014
DD just turned 10 but her 10u team is aging up to 12u so they are playing 12u this fall to get a feel.
She is the main pitcher so we were a bit anxious to the change from 35 to 40' and then going up against much older girls.

Each weekend (just Sunday) this month has been different. 1st weekend she pitched great! 2002/2003 girls but B/C.
Next week she played similar comp but there was a huge hole in front of the rubber and it really messed with her. She did not throw her pitches. Tried to overthrow and was off from that and the hole. Tough Sunday.

Worked all week on drive mechanics to handle the hole and showed up Sunday ready. Unfortunately, we got our first "A" 12u team. 02/03's at that. DD just gave up one run the 1st inning and had one run in and two outs in the 2nd. Easy bunt hit to her but she threw a little high and 2b could not handle, covering 1b. 3 more runs score and then give up the max in the 3rd. One play away from two solid innings against very good competition of girls 2-3 years older than her. But it ends up as 10 runs in three innings. She was bummed!!

Last weekend she pitched great but not the same level of team as the week before. She now compares the weaker teams to the A team she played...

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Can I go ahead and say this coming weekend will be one of those? Got our pool schedule for a 6 game round robin broken down into two pools of nine. The top two from each pool will move to bracket play Sunday afternoon. The two best teams (based on past results) in the tourney are us and our biggest rival and we are in the same pool. Even better is we get to play the very first game of the weekend at 8 on Saturday against them. We also get the pleasure of playing at 8 on Sunday morning as well.

Apr 28, 2014
We've had our share of really bad weekends.
One in particular was last summer. We played our arch rivals and DD was asked to pitch the pool game on Saturday. The team we played had several girls that DD grew up playing against and a few that left the team that DD was on and vice versa. DD had a rough second inning in the circle and gave up 5 runs. We couldn't hit their pitcher and ended up losing 5-3.
The next day we ended up playing the same team in the semi finals. DD was asked to pitch again.. We batted first.. Scored 5 runs! DD pitched 2 great innings but we could not put any more on the board.
Then error after error. After leading 5-0 we lost 6-5..
Devastating..

Feb 12, 2014
Might have one of those coming up....

Forecast: High of 56 degrees, wind out of the NNE at 20 mph, 100% chance of rain, flooding possible

On the off chance we do get to play our 04 team "randomly" drew two 03 teams in a tournament evenly divided between 04's and 03's.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Any bad weekends to share?

I told this story in an early thread, but I will tell it again for amusement....Summer 2015 my DD was playing in a showcase and her "soon to be" college coaches had come to watch her play. This was the first time they had gotten to see her play since she had verballed to them in October 2014. The head coach is sitting right behind home plate on the fence and the assistant coaches were sitting in the stands. My DD was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. She tries to throw every pitch 85 MPH and walks the first three batters on @ 15 pitches. She then decides to calm down and get ahead of the next batter so she does not walk in a run. A big corn fed first baseman batting clean up hits the first pitch she sees @ 240 ft into the parking lot. With a tear drop forming in my left eye I pulled out my phone and Googled "closest liquor store", while my DD was asking if anyone knew of any JUCOs still looking for a 2017 pitcher. After the game our head coach went to talk with the coaches and said they were laughing about it and could tell that she was nervous and pressing. I did not think it was funny, but fortunately for us, they came back later in the weekend and saw DD pitch well against a couple other teams.

Jun 12, 2015
I'm afraid this might be a bad weekend, because of RAIN. A rained out tournament = bad weekend. :( GO AWAY RAIN.

Jun 7, 2013
I told this story in an early thread, but I will tell it again for amusement....Summer 2015 my DD was playing in a showcase and her "soon to be" college coaches had come to watch her play. This was the first time they had gotten to see her play since she had verballed to them in October 2014. The head coach is sitting right behind home plate on the fence and the assistant coaches were sitting in the stands. My DD was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. She tries to throw every pitch 85 MPH and walks the first three batters on @ 15 pitches. She then decides to calm down and get ahead of the next batter so she does not walk in a run. A big corn fed first baseman batting clean up hits the first pitch she sees @ 240 ft into the parking lot. With a tear drop forming in my left eye I pulled out my phone and Googled "closest liquor store", while my DD was asking if anyone knew of any JUCOs still looking for a 2017 pitcher. After the game our head coach went to talk with the coaches and said they were laughing about it and could tell that she was nervous and pressing. I did not think it was funny, but fortunately for us, they came back later in the weekend and saw DD pitch well against a couple other teams.

Thanks for sharing the story. It makes me feel a little bit better about my DDs bad weekend. Now can you share the address of that liquor store?!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish