Home to first times (rehashed yet again)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2018
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but what is the consensus on timing home to first (primarily for a slapper). First step, from contact or first step after contact? I know how much a difference these can make when timing our DD's. I'm very interested in what you all think.

thanks in advance!

May 27, 2013
I always assumed it to be from bat on ball contact. However, most laser-timed events are from a standstill start to the 20-yard mark so the latter times are probably a tick slower.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam but what is the consensus on timing home to first (primarily for a slapper). First step, from contact or first step after contact? I know how much a difference these can make when timing our DD's. I'm very interested in what you all think.

thanks in advance!

The ball hitting the bat is the start of the play. That's when the defense begins to have an opportunity to get the batter-runner out. That should be when you start timing. Plus, waiting until first step after contact might be better for timing running speed, but what we really want to know is how quickly the runner can get to first. That transition from contact to first step is a big part of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez