Home Runs and Strikeouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Went to a Braves game last week. Hadn't been to one in years.

Deep ground balls in the hole to SS I thought might be close plays at first. Runners were out by 3 steps. Everything felt like it was in slo-mo.

That's one thing I love about softball. With the right hitter, a "routine" grounder to the shortstop may be a single.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
For some reason it doesn't bother me as much as others. I still enjoy thinking along with the pitcher trying to figure out what they will throw and marvel at some of the plays a MLB IF will make with relative ease which are not at all easy. But I am in the minority I think.

I definitely enjoy when today's players "flash the leather". It's the combination of strike outs, 6 consecutive pick off throws to 1st base, and all of the other delays that just make it painful to watch sometimes.

Jun 8, 2016
It's the combination of strike outs, 6 consecutive pick off throws to 1st base, and all of the other delays that just make it painful to watch sometimes.
Well the 9YO and 11YO pitchers on my DD's 12U team still haven't figured out how to read their wristbands efficiently so I guess I am used to the pitching mound delays (for Pete's sake you have two pitches!!)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
With girls throwing harder and bats getting hotter the game is going the way of MLB. And with more college coaches starting to see the light on launch angles and power hitting unfortunately it is going to get worse quickly . A 200 ft fence is a chip shot. What should be a routine fly ball now drifts over the fence by 30 ft. Old school hitting coaches will be replaced with high speed video and launch angle gurus. There will still be slapping but its value will be diminished too.

Feb 17, 2014
It is starting to make its way into softball. DD has been to a couple of camps where the hitting philosophy of the program is flyballs, HRs and "we don't care how much you strike out as long as you are hitting in the air".

One coach told me they would prefer a strikeout with the hitter swinging for the fences when there are runners on 2nd & 3rd with 1 out instead of a groundball to 2B.

I don't really mind. Pay for my DD's education. :D

Apr 20, 2017
I personally think some of the move to more power hitting in softball is a good thing. I don’t think with the short bases the speed will ever go away. A good team will have a combination of power and speed. There are more opportunities for different types of girls now then years ago.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
The allure of the long ball is partly due to social media. Organizations and players post their highlights for their followers, including college coaches. A good piece of situational hitting isn’t sexy enough to post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 22, 2019
Power in softball became a premium when they stopped letting slappers run out of the box. Slapping value is way down since the rule was applied.

Fielding has also significantly improved in softball, so high bounce to third isn’t as likely to get you on base as it was just a few years ago.

Speed on the bases is still killer, but power and speed is ideal.

Oct 4, 2018
So y'all are saying steroids, got it.

They make them in cherry-flavored liquid? My 10 year old can't swallow pills yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13