Home Runs and Strikeouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I heard on the radio last night that MLB hit new season records for Home Runs and Strikeouts this year. Seems that players swing for the fences and hit a bomb or strikeout. And I suppose that's what owners and GMs (and fans) want to see.

Not so much in softball, right?

Sep 9, 2019
Makes sense. Hitters are being taught to swing for higher launch trajectory. This reduces the area that the bat is on plane with the ball. This is indeed creeping into softball. A lot of line drives are outs. Home runs are not. Even though you may reach base more often. It is still so difficult to score from the bases.

Jun 8, 2016
I heard on the radio last night that MLB hit new season records for Home Runs and Strikeouts this year. Seems that players swing for the fences and hit a bomb or strikeout. And I suppose that's what owners and GMs (and fans) want to see.

The strikeouts are a combination of things, including, but not limited to, a different approach at the plate. Back in the day the only guys with overpowering stuff were some of the starters, who would go 7 or 8 innings, by which time they would be running out of gas and hitters would see them 3 times, and a closer. Now you have middle relievers coming in with nasty stuff along with a closer.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida

There is more variety in softball and other offense is more appreciated (slappers, speed, etc) due to differences in the game itself. 60' bases in particular makes a massive difference. But this theory of power hitting has clearly moved over to softball as well.

DD was told by her hitting instructor a few years ago - "offensively in softball you can either be fast or you can hit it over the fence... and you are not fast."

DD is not getting cheated on her swing :) If she is asked to bunt she will get it down but it is a sacrifice and if she gets on, it is because the fielders messed up somehow.

Jun 11, 2013
With the depth of bullpens you are seeing starters who know they only have to go 5 innings so they are attempting to strikeout more hitter then you see the last 4 innings of fresh guys throwing upper 90's. Throw in shifts where unless you want to change your swing the best way to beat it is to hit it over there heads it leads to more HR's and K's. Not to mention this year especially there is something going on the the ball. I've seen so many guys hit opposite field HR's on what looked like normal fly balls. The ball is just carrying which has caused HR totals to just go off the charts.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I agree that the long ball mentality is creeping into softball, but I hope the speed game doesn't go away. That is my favorite aspect of watching softball on TV. Place pressure on the defense on good things will happen. MLB has become nearly unwatchable for me. I will catch an inning or two once in a while and will definitely watch some playoff games. But the all or nothing mentality is a turn off for me.

The Uncoach

Clubhouse 7up
Jan 19, 2011
I like to see line drives. In MLB a line drive accounts for over a .700 batting average. If we want to get into "launch angle" that would specifically be 10-14 degrees. It's still over .600 in the 15-20 degree category. Of course those launch angles are not optimal for HR, but those are the numbers I tend to shoot for. A smaller player with really good bat speed is going to put a few over the fence with a swing designed for the lower launch angles anyway. Round ball/round bat. I have no issue with a smaller, quick player becoming a LHB. The insanity created by a quick lefty putting pressure on the defense can be fun to watch.

Oct 4, 2018
I agree that the long ball mentality is creeping into softball, but I hope the speed game doesn't go away. That is my favorite aspect of watching softball on TV. Place pressure on the defense on good things will happen. MLB has become nearly unwatchable for me. I will catch an inning or two once in a while and will definitely watch some playoff games. But the all or nothing mentality is a turn off for me.

Went to a Braves game last week. Hadn't been to one in years.

Deep ground balls in the hole to SS I thought might be close plays at first. Runners were out by 3 steps. Everything felt like it was in slo-mo.

Apr 1, 2017
Went to a Braves game last week. Hadn't been to one in years.

Deep ground balls in the hole to SS I thought might be close plays at first. Runners were out by 3 steps. Everything felt like it was in slo-mo.

When my son was still playing summer and fall league baseball I would have similar moments every game. The distance of the bases in baseball kill a lot of the speed factor.

With 60' bases, softball will always have "the need for speed".

Jun 8, 2016
MLB has become nearly unwatchable for me. I will catch an inning or two once in a while and will definitely watch some playoff games. But the all or nothing mentality is a turn off for me.
For some reason it doesn't bother me as much as others. I still enjoy thinking along with the pitcher trying to figure out what they will throw and marvel at some of the plays a MLB IF will make with relative ease which are not at all easy. But I am in the minority I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802